Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
I have seen that some builders are puting the ELT antenna under the (fiberglass) empennage intersection fairing. I would like to do this and am wondering if anyone has tested this location (either on purpose or by accident) and can comment on transmission effectiveness.

15q27ol.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks,

My DAR specifically noted before inspection that he would not pass this type of installation.

I have my 406 ELT antenna mounted like photo

it was mounted and a couple years ago the plane was inside a two story shop with brick walls and steel doors and when it was accidently tripped and left unknown the CAP, U.S. Air Force, Home Land Security Force and a bunch of Deputies showed up. I was very embarrassed, but happy to know how well it worked. As to a DAR that "refused" to consider the mount location, DUMP him and find another.

Yes and yes ...

I have seen that some builders are puting the ELT antenna under the (fiberglass) empennage intersection fairing. I would like to do this and am wondering if anyone has tested this location (either on purpose or by accident) and can comment on transmission effectiveness.

15q27ol.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks,

Mine is mounted in the same area on an RV6.
At SnF a few years ago (the year there was LOTS of grass, trash and dust blown around), I trtied wipe down a lot of dust that had been blown through my slightly open tip up canopy.

Unknowingly, I hit the ELT button on the panel and left to go shopping.
Got a phone call from the lead guy of the CAP I believe, informing me that MY ELT was tripped and I was to meet him at the plane! :-O

It WORKED! And worked well. (They found my plane in the midst of hundreds! At a show where there were probably thousands.)

They wondered where the antenna was as they could not find it. :)

Made me replace the batteries as it had been on for more that 2 hours as I recall. The BIGGEST issue was I had to remove the baggage bulkhead and crawl in to pull out the ELT so they could get the serial number.

So there ... an existence proof of one.

James