ghatch

I have been reviewing all the RV photos I have to decide on the location for the ELT antenna. I was planning on top of the fuselage just in front of of the vertical stab. However, I see only about 1 in10n RV have it in that location and I cannot see and ELT antenna in any of the other photos. Looking for advice/suggestions.

Thanks,
Gerry
RV-7

I understand the ELT antenna, to be legal
and transmit well, needs to be vertical or nearly so.
That said, many seem to be mounted under
the tail fairing above the horizontal stab.

Mount inside under canopy.

I looked at were others mounted it while at OSH several years ago. I decided to mount mine on the cross brace gusset behind the passenger seat so that it sticks up under the canopy (slider), bent slightly so as not to rub the canopy. At this location it was easy to route the cable from the ELT mounted behind the seat. The thought is that if you land right side up, it will be facing the sky. If you land upside down, the roll bar and tail will keep the cockpit in tact and should still allow it to send out a signal. In reality, it is hard to find a place that is ideal for every conceivable scenario that is survivable so just pick one.

On the Tailcone

I looked at were others mounted it while at OSH several years ago. I decided to mount mine on the cross brace gusset behind the passenger seat so that it sticks up under the canopy (slider), bent slightly so as not to rub the canopy. At this location it was easy to route the cable from the ELT mounted behind the seat. The thought is that if you land right side up, it will be facing the sky. If you land upside down, the roll bar and tail will keep the cockpit in tact and should still allow it to send out a signal. In reality, it is hard to find a place that is ideal for every conceivable scenario that is survivable so just pick one.

I mounted my ELT antenna on the top of the tailcone, just aft of the canopy when it is fully open. I guess that I will have to assure that I do not end up on my back. Why couldn't I have had such forward thinking before I mounted the antenna? Oh well! (sigh)

It's a toss-up!

I put mine under the tail fairing, pointing to the rear. I have decided to put the plane on it's nose next time I crash. :D

I put mine under the tail fairing, pointing to the rear. I have decided to put the plane on it's nose next time I crash. :D

next time I crash :eek:

Note to self, "Do not ride with Ron!"

There is one local -8 (not Ron's) that put the ELT antenna where you suggested and in flight it whips back and contacts the VS. He has nice scratches on either side of the VS. If you can bend it and make contact with the VS, so can 200 MPH wind.

It works there ...

We put ours there too.

A few years ago, I (or some gremlin :) ) accidentally bumped the "ON" botton while cleaning out grass that had been blown into the plane at Sun-N-Fun.

A few hours later I get a call from a Colonel somebody who wanted to "meet me at your plane because your ELT has been activated"!

Turns out they get this call that there is an active ELT at Lakeland airport area and they have to fine WHICH ONE. They were able to track it right to me. Of course they were surprised in that they could not see an ELT antenna.

They were nice and I was glad to know it really worked, even though I did have to remove baggage bulkhead and pull out ELT to get serial number and replace the batteries, NOW. :). Given how nioce they were about it, I was happy to comply.

James