Allan Stern

Well Known Member
I was wondering where some of the 8 planes have located the elt antenna? On my 6 I put it under the empenage fairing horizontally. On the 8 there is not the same amount of room there.

Allan Stern
RV 6A flying 65 hours
RV 8A in progress

This one is almost a "Never-Ending-Debate"...search for "ELT" and sit back to enjoy some reading in the archives....(Mine is a "Rubber-Ducky" under the empennage fairing, which many people will argue against...or for...)

An overconstrained problem!

I think most of us end up with it under the emp. fairing. Not ideal, but better than sticking up out of the back seat between the passenger's legs ;)

The 406 ELT really complicates the question further. The antenna is really supposed to be vertical, on the top. So the belly is not an option.

Has anyone chosen the center of the forward skin between the fwd baggage door and the windscreen? Undesireable for a couple of reasons, but I see no other options either.....

Maybe I'll make a fin with a fiberglass skin so the ELT antenna can go inside it;)

Seriously, although it has already been discussed a bunch, I would love to stimulate some new thinking and new ideas out there...

I have seen folks build a little bracket and mount a rubber ducky in the "Y" of the mid-cabin brace (front seat upper support) in the -8. Another spot is at the rear of the rear seat right armrest, with the antenna restrained in a curve to the bulkhead. Both are probably better from an antenna pattern standpoint than the Emp. fairing, but might get snagged or in the way.

Paul