uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Two quick questions:
Is the ELT phone type cable a regular phone cable? The jack end will not fit through the snap bushings with the wires I already have in place so I was wondering if I can cut one end off and crimp a new jack on.

What minimum wire gauge is recommended for the Whelen strobe wires (anode, cathode and trigger) and do they all need to be shielded?

Is the ELT phone type cable a regular phone cable? The jack end will not fit through the snap bushings with the wires I already have in place so I was wondering if I can cut one end off and crimp a new jack on.

Yes, just make sure you save the end you cut off, and crimp the new end on exactly the same way.

tel style cord

Why not cut the tel style cord about 4 inches from the end and then splice it back together color for color after running it through the plane. That way no new end/crimp is required. That single crimp will require a new tool for crimping that kind of connector and it's difficult to get a good crimp with this kind of wire. I

Bevan
Rv7A wiirng

It's my understanding that all HV wires from the power supply to the strobe must be shielded. In addition, many of the avionics shops recommend you not bundle strobe HV lines with other wires due to the system noise it can create. OTOH, if you use the smaller strobe power supplies in each wing tip, the low voltage feeds TO the power supply can be bundled.

Phone cable crimper

You can buy a phone cable crimper at Radio Shack, cheaply, and just install a new connector. Connectors are really cheap. Then you can also use it to modify your too long cables on your phone or computer at home. Installing the connector is simple with directions on the tool you get at R.S.