paul330

Well Known Member
I have an AK-451 ELT.

A few months ago, I found the remote unit beeping away but without the activation of the main unit - in fact, it was switched off as I was still building. I disconnected the remote and left it.

Before I started flying, I re-connected the remote and all seemed well. However, about a month ago, I received a call from the Rescue Centre that my ELT had been activated. I reset it but the next day it went off again. It is now de-activated pending trouble-shooting.

The main unit passes the self-test. I am wondering if the battery in the remote is low and sending a spurious "Activate" signal so I am going to replace it. Other than that, any ideas?

Paul - use the search function here to find multiple posts reporting the same problem. The Ameri-King 406 ELT has some serious design defects, and those here who have encountered those defects have also encountered pretty terrible customer service when they sought to have their unit repaired.

While this may sound rather blunt, I would advise you to cut your losses, ditch the ELT and buy one that has a better track record. You get what you pay for: bottom dollar price = bottom of the barrel quality.

Thanks for that - should know by now to use the "Search" first :rolleyes:

Seems that I have correctly diagnosed the problem so at least it appears an easy fix. Looking at the other threads, you really don't like the AmeriKing, do you.....? ;)

I have an AK-451 ELT.
I'm sorry to hear that.

As Canadian_Joy mentions, the best course of action is to cut and run. Ameri-King has been completely unable, or unwilling, to acknowledge or repair this issue for anyone who has had this problem. It's "supposed to" work this way, apparently.

Paul - to be honest, Ameri-King is the worst ELT I've ever seen, whether it be their 121.5 or 406MHz units. I'd really like to be more positive about their product, however the track record of Ameri-King ELT's simply cannot be denied. It would be contrary to my aviation safety ethic to not warn other aviators to stay away from a product with such a chequered service record.

The Panel Remote Switch has it's own Battery

I have an AK-451 ELT.

A few months ago, I found the remote unit beeping away but without the activation of the main unit - in fact, it was switched off as I was still building. I disconnected the remote and left it.

Before I started flying, I re-connected the remote and all seemed well. However, about a month ago, I received a call from the Rescue Centre that my ELT had been activated. I reset it but the next day it went off again. It is now de-activated pending trouble-shooting.

The main unit passes the self-test. I am wondering if the battery in the remote is low and sending a spurious "Activate" signal so I am going to replace it. Other than that, any ideas?

The AK 450 and 451 use a battery within the remote switch on the panel. If the battery is depleted / expired this can be the cause of what you are experiencing. The battery spec is listed in the on line documents.

Good Luck