jnmeade

Well Known Member
Who has experience with dealing with the FAA when you build a kit that is registered as an ELSA?
Specifically, what builder's log is required for an ELSA (as opposed to an EAB)?
What does the FAA want you to prove (not 51%, that doesn't apply - not that you built it, they don't care who built it)?

I guess I'm going to have to do some basic research, but thought I'd ask those who have already assembled a kit and registered it as ELSA their experience with this issue.

Please - I'm not asking for a discussion on whether build logs are good or bad or what they should look like. I am only asking for experiences on what the FAA requires for a builder's log in an ELSA.

What do they want to see?
Why do they want to see it (what are you expected to demonstrate or prove)?

FAA references very much appreciated.

TIA

I tried to take at least one picture at the end of every day, just so I could go back and look at them myself. I also kept a time log, again just for myself.

My DAR asked about pictures and I showed him what I had. He picked out 3 or 4 that had me in the picture and asked me to send them to him. Although I'm not certain, I had the distinct impression that the pictures were for his own file, not necessarily to be sent anywhere. He wasn't interested in my time log.

There are no build log requirements for ELSA, except that you must be able to show that you followed the plans exclusively without changes.

Any deviation from the plans must be approved by the kit manufacturer in writing.

Thanks, Mel. I also queried the manufacturer and he said the same thing.
This gives me plenty of information to decide what documentation to accomplish.

You are sent the best possible build log for the RV-12 - the plans. Initial every step when completed. Sign and date every page when completed. Sometimes you will skip a step -Mark it with a post-it and come back. Take pics, and the combo is a total build log.

You are sent the best possible build log for the RV-12 - the plans. Initial every step when completed. Sign and date every page when completed. Sometimes you will skip a step -Mark it with a post-it and come back. Take pics, and the combo is a total build log.

Your point is well taken, and while what you suggest is not necessary when building an ELSA, it is still probably a good idea for a number of reasons. I'm likely going to use this approach as opposed to some of the other build log ideas I've seen, such as software of various commercial and home made varieties. For the ELSA, my main focus will be to show compliance with the plans, rather than who did what when. Your suggestion to use the plans may be the best method to accomplish this.

My understanding was that Van's will give you a "certificate of conformance" or something to that effect for an ELSA, providing you have purchased EVERY component for the build from them. The DAR may still require you to demonstrate conformance to the SLsA, so pictures and/or plans should be available.

My understanding was that Van's will give you a "certificate of conformance" or something to that effect for an ELSA, providing you have purchased EVERY component for the build from them. The DAR may still require you to demonstrate conformance to the SLsA, so pictures and/or plans should be available.

Vans supplies an FAA form 8130-15, Statement of Compliance, once you have purchased the complete kit. This is a required document and shows that you were supplied with all the proper materials to be in compliance.
You still must be able to show that you did, in fact, use those parts and followed the plans precisely.

Building near you

Jim,
I am building a 12 near Grinnell, just west of you. I have been taking a lot
of pictures and date the completion on the plans. We may have to get together
and swap war stories.....Denny

Denny,
I'd be glad to meet you and look over your project. I have to confess that I am building a Rans S7, but I monitor VAF because of the quality and breadth of experience and commentary here. Rans has a nice site, too, but VAF is very good so I donate and follow it closely.