Randy Walls

Is there anything in the FAR?s that would preclude filing IFR in an ELSA RV-12? Assuming it has the equipment required by part 91installed (lights, VOR, etc.).
I couldn?t find anything.

My FAA inspector actually brought this up proactively. Right now, he indicates that if properly equipped, it would be fine. However, he also alluded to some discussions ongoing within FAA that might prohibit IFR certification for LSA's and suggested that if there was any interest, it might be best to do it sooner rather than later because planes done before a change in the regs would likely be grandfathered. I have not seen any other chatter on this though.

Mel- have you heard anything on this?

Jeff

Surprise!

It's in your operating limitations.

"After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with part 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR day only."

Obviously the pilot must be properly rated, and hold a current medical certificate.
I've heard nothing in the works about this changing.
Of course, often we are the last to know.

My FAA inspector actually brought this up proactively. Right now, he indicates that if properly equipped, it would be fine. However, he also alluded to some discussions ongoing within FAA that might prohibit IFR certification for LSA's and suggested that if there was any interest, it might be best to do it sooner rather than later because planes done before a change in the regs would likely be grandfathered. I have not seen any other chatter on this though.

Mel- have you heard anything on this?

Jeff

I could be wrong Jeff but I think those conversations may be driven by the recent ASTM ruling prohibiting LSA IFR (grandfathered). Their reasoning was since they didn't have a rule they needed to ban it until they came up with one...lol. Keep in mind however, this only pertains to SLSA's which are certified. Experimentals are not prohibited if they follow the guidelines mentioned above by Mel.

Thanks Peter- now that you provide the additional detail, I remember the FAA guy saying exactly what you describe. I think his point was that it did not yet apply to E-LSA aircraft so there was potentially a window before someone determines they should apply the same ban there.

Jeff

How could an E-LSA be IFR equipped?
What I mean is this:

An E-LSA must be equipped exactly as the original manufacturer equipped theirs (eg: RV-12). Unless the mfr built theirs as IFR equipped, you can't build yours to be IFR equipped or it wouldn't be an E-LSA, it would be an EAB.

Did Vans build their RV-12 with lights and equipment per 91.205? Did any S-LSA mfr equip per 91.205? If they did, great! If not, well......

How could an E-LSA be IFR equipped?
What I mean is this:

An E-LSA must be equipped exactly as the original manufacturer equipped theirs (eg: RV-12). Unless the mfr built theirs as IFR equipped, you can't build yours to be IFR equipped or it wouldn't be an E-LSA, it would be an EAB.

Did Vans build their RV-12 with lights and equipment per 91.205? Did any S-LSA mfr equip per 91.205? If they did, great! If not, well......

This has been discussed at length in the past (a lot of stuff in the archives).

An E-LSA aircraft is experimental category (that is what the "E" designates).

Once the required flight testing has been completed, it can be modified to the same degree as any other experimental category air craft can be. As long as the operating limitations requirements regarding major changes are met, and as long as the change does not change the performance capabilities of the airplane outside of what is required for LSA.

Conceivably an IFR capable panel could be retrofitted. The standard RV-12 E-LSA panel is not IFR capable.

Has anyone heard anything new on this topic? My 12 has the Garmin SL30, I am instrument rated and if my 12 has a current IFR certification on the pitot/static sytem and I have a valid 3rd class medical, and of course all the requirements in 93-205 are met, can I file and go?:confused:

Nothing has changed. If the aircraft is properly equipped and the pilot is qualified, an ELSA may be flown IFR.

Glad to see the answer from Mel and I would agree. That if so equipped, IFR could be flown. I also spoke to one of the Dynon reps at air venture and she said the sky view can fly IFR if it's driven by a certified box (430 WAAS).