Hornet2008

Well Known Member
No idea how this happened, the F-684-R web is OK.

k9jmn9.jpg

The lower left four holes are the problem, some how they were elongated. My question is.. can I drill holes at 1-2-3 and rivet there as well as rivet the existing elongated holes using AN470, or trash the part and start again. The furthest right hole is OK.

This is the lower web flange on the firewall fitting.

5zjh4w.jpg

Any comments, ideas would be great. The fire wall vertical angle is OK.

Last edited:
Pete the part is very simple. Just fabricate new and discard butchered. You have enough skills now and likely there is proper gage of aluminum sheet in your scrap box :)

Pete,

I have to agree with Vlad just start over on that part . I'm not sure if you made it or bought it but it looks pretty easy to replace.

Concur with these guys. I'd look for an imaginative solution if the part was large, complex or already installed where replacing would be difficult. But for a piece that can be easily fabricated or ordered from Vans, I prefer to do over.

Thanks guys, was leaning that way. It is fabricated out of 0.063. I will have to order some more as the scrap I have is too narrow.

You might check with your local metal supply shops - if all you need is .063" angle of aircraft grade aluminum alloy, most of them will have it available locally. Make sure it's the right alloy though. They may want to sell you a 20' stick (my local guys did) and I had them cut it in half and throw it in the back of my pickup, but the cost of the 20' stick was still less than a 3' piece plus shipping from Vans. The shipping is what will kill you...

Edit - on re-reading I realize that it was the plate, not the angle that you needed. I think I would follow Kurt's advice below for that case. More angle is always a good thing to have on hand however!

Last edited:
Order a 1' by 1' piece of .063" thick 2024-T3 clad sheet from Spruce. Cheap and reasonable shipping. I think I re-made mine 2 or 3 times on one side before I got the bend the way I wanted it with the proper edge distance.