Jermechanic

Well Known Member
My friend has an Ellison throttle body on his 160hp o-320. After 1700hrs of good service he is now having difficulty starting hot.

Has anyone had their Ellison apart for repairs? Apparently their is a replaceable diaphragm that can cause this issue.

As another idea would anyone have an Ellison they would part with. Its a terrible time of the year to have his RV4 out of service:(

Thanks
Jeremy

I think his best bet would be to send it back in to Ellison for a rebuild. They can be a little hard to reach by email but if you call and leave a message they?ll usually return your call pretty quickly. If you don?t hear back from them just keep trying and you?ll eventually be able to get in touch with them. http://ellison-fluid-systems.com

Mark

I've had a few Ellisons, not sure how the diaphram would cause a hot start issue only...
I think the diaphragm is a Tillotson (sp) part.
I have a brand new unit if your friend wants to replace, I'm in Canada, no customs/brokerage, shoot me a PM.
Mike

Unless the diaphragm is torn or if the rubber has gotten hard or stretched, I would not suspect the diaphragm. Otherwise they are easy to replace and at least you can eliminate it when troubleshooting. Tillotson DG-1HD is the part #.

PM Sent

PM Sent regarding the Ellison throttle body

I've had a few Ellisons, not sure how the diaphram would cause a hot start issue only...
I think the diaphragm is a Tillotson (sp) part.
I have a brand new unit if your friend wants to replace, I'm in Canada, no customs/brokerage, shoot me a PM.
Mike

If not already tried, Ellison recommends shutting down with mags, not mixture, for easier hot starts.

Thank you

Thank you for all the responses regarding the 0-320 hot start issue. The problem was being masked by priming while cranking which somewhat helped and mistakenly pointed to the fuel injector.

On further diagnosis a weak/bad impulse coupler was found to be the problem. A replacement Slick mag was installed and the engine starts great now.

~Jeremy