dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I been working getting the empennage mounted to my QB fuselage. The HS, VS, elevators and rudder are all on. I was using my iPhone to measure the up/down travel of the elevators. The up travel measured at 27.5 degrees when it hits the stop, but the down travel is only getting to 11 degrees before the elevator horns hit the F-711E stop/spacer.

The up range should be 25-30 degrees and the down should be 20-25 degrees.

In doing the measuring I clamped the elevator counter balance arm to the HS. Then calibrated my level to 0 degrees.

I'm not sure what I can do other than removing material from the F-711E to get more downward travel.

I ran into exact situation about a month ago. I notched the 711E spacer a fair amount, almost back flush with the aft deck skin. I didn't ask, but didn't see any way around it either. That did the trick.

(The aft edge of the spacer and the aft edge of the deck skin were not flush to start off.... Almost seems they should have been)

confirm with a call

you could also give the tech support team at Van's a call...

This is by design. You grind away material from F-711E until you get the travel you need. The only reason I'd call Vans is if I felt I had to grind so much away that it would compromise the strength of F-711E.

I ground slightly different amounts from each side since my horns were offset slightly from each other. I wanted them to hit the stop at the same time.

This is exactly the response I received from Van's.

The elevator stops are intended to be filed so you end up with the appropriate amount of travel when finished. You will want to file it so that both elevator horns contact the stop as opposed to just one hitting if there is an offset between the two.

Thanks.