R Eleew

I followed the plans and watched the video and I still am unhappy with the way my trim tab turned out. I am right on the bend lines but there seems there is not enough skin material on the sides causing these areas to be slightly concave as compared to the rest of the surface. Is that a normal result or an anomalie? All the holes line up perfectly.

In other words.....How much perfection can I expect to achieve? Have any of you all built a perfectly flat Trim?

Thanks!

perfection is a relative thing.

A picture would be a lot of help here. I built a pretty flat trim tab. Forget riblets they're to much work.

Mine looked terrific until......

I clamped it in the blocks as per Van's instructions. It made visible distortions in the surface, (worse on the top, naturally). I am not particularly happy with it, might build another. That question is still in the undecided column.
I will try to get a picture, not easy to do where it shows what I am talking about.

Last edited:
I'm a sheetmetal person by trade, and still went with the small ribs. I didn't like the bend either!

edit: P.S. --- I've seen the larger 9 tabs with that concave surface, and it's not the best looking. Go with the ribs!

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Last edited:
go riveted trailing edge

Drop the whole bent trailing edge and make it with the same wedge all the rest of the control surfaces use. Matches the plane so much better and it's real easy to make. Makes your plane 10 knots faster too. :D

Drop the whole bent trailing edge and make it with the same wedge all the rest of the control surfaces use. Matches the plane so much better and it's real easy to make. Makes your plane 10 knots faster too. :D

10 knots????:cool: