Jeff R

Well Known Member
Anyone now if, and how, the control knob on the manual elevator trim cable can be removed so the cable can be backed out of the mounting plate?

Cable

Jeff,

Rotate the manual trim knob all the way in. Unscrew the knurled retainer where the cable meets the shaft. This should expose the slot in which the cable end ball slips in and out.

Depending on installation, you may have to remove the control knob (loosen anyway) from it's mount or perhaps disconnect from the trim tab.

Don

Cable End Ball

The previous thread stated, "This should expose the slot in which the cable end ball slips in and out." This is what I did today, but it was to see if I could slip a small rubber o-ring around the 'end ball' to eliminate any slack. As I mentioned on an earlier thread this past week, the FAA inspector didn't like the 1/4" of wiggle in the elevator trim tab. Although Van's assures that this is normal, at this time, I don't believe that it'll be acceptable to the FAA. I did notice today that the ball has a bit of wiggle room in the slot. I'm not sure this will translate to 1/4" of wiggle on the aft end of the trim tab, but anything will help. Any thoughts?

Jim Diehl
7A
Piper Memorial Airport, Pa