dustman

Well Known Member
Question i dont have enough travel itn the down direction. If i trim the bottom edge of the horizontal stabilizer near the elevator horn attachment on the HS i can get the clearance i need. The portion that i will remove from the hs will be about 1 inch total and only on the edge of the HS. It will be on the bend of the hs i dont think that it will take any strength from the HS. Any ideas.

Required per plans

Hi Dustman,

Can't tell what you are building so I'll take a guess that it is a 7.

The area you describe is required to trimmed on the 7 (think it applies to the 6 and 8 as well). The empenage instrutions, horizontal stab section, highlight the ammount of trimming required.

Good luck

EricB
RV-7
Finishing Fuse

I'm guessing that you are referring to an interference problem with the forward edge of the elevator horns hitting the flange of the HS rear spar. This is completely normal, and the flange must be trimmed to allow the required elevator travel.

You're building a 3 right? I had the same problem and I cut the flange just like you said on the HS to get enough travel.

Standard procedure is to trim the HS rear spar where the elevator horn hits it. It is not uncommon to trim the flange off right to the web. The instructions also tell you to do this.

Elevator travel

Thanks guys I trimmed the HS and I now have about 27 deg up and 27 deg down. My only other question is 27 deg enough the manual calls for 30. There is no way I can get 30 unless i do some serious modifying and i figure I could be off a few degrees due to my measuring method. Again thanks for the help. Yes it is a R3.