RickWoodall

Well Known Member
QUESTION for folks who have mounted their elevators. All looks good and we drilled the two top horn holes. Trailing edges are pretty good very happy with it and all measurements UNTIL....when we move elevators up and down by hand, there is a very slight contact half way through the rotation. It does not bind, just a very faint noise. Careful inspection shows that on the right elevator, the front roll, at the cut outs for the eyebolts to the hs, those edges are just lighty contacting the white hinge brackets mounted on the hs spar. Anyone have this issues? Solutions? The only thing we can think of at the moment is to take the 911 hinge brackets off, and shim them a very small amount and reinstall. That would move the elevators back a very small amount.
The one pivot hole is drilled, i cant see another solution??

Help appreciated if anyone has had this issue.

I would just take my hands and bend the rolled leading edge slightly to keep it from hitting. Also ensure that you have the bearings adjusted properly. You can tell by how even the counterweight arm to HS gap is.

QUESTION for folks who have mounted their elevators. All looks good and we drilled the two top horn holes. Trailing edges are pretty good very happy with it and all measurements UNTIL....when we move elevators up and down by hand, there is a very slight contact half way through the rotation. It does not bind, just a very faint noise. Careful inspection shows that on the right elevator, the front roll, at the cut outs for the eyebolts to the hs, those edges are just lighty contacting the white hinge brackets mounted on the hs spar. Anyone have this issues? Solutions? The only thing we can think of at the moment is to take the 911 hinge brackets off, and shim them a very small amount and reinstall. That would move the elevators back a very small amount.
The one pivot hole is drilled, i cant see another solution??

Help appreciated if anyone has had this issue.

Hmmmmm

It is only out maybe 1/32, and when we take the bolt out that we drilled through the bearing (just the top hole drilled), its fine. There is a very very small torque in the rh elevator. I believe it is something to do with the elevator horn. Maybe once the bottom hole is drilled that will firm it up and pull her tight, not sure. I am happy to do what is required to fix, but not sure best approach as bearing bracket is bolted and rivetted on, and just bending the skins at the contact while not very visable....well you know. :) I will keep thinking it over. Thanks.

If there is binding, then there is a misalignment somewhere and I would find that. I thought the only problem was the rolled skin was hitting, sounds like you have some additional binding.

You may have to adjust the bearings in or out a half turn or something to get it all working smooth. There should be almost no friction thru the full travel.

If the bearings and the center mount/bearing are not exactly inline with each other, there will be multiple pivot centers and as the the unit goes thru the arc, it will cause bindage.

So if I understand this correctly, the rolled leading edge of your elevator is touching the flat part of the hinge brackets, where it is riveted to the trailing edge of the HS, correct?

If that's the case, and everything else feels good, I would first very carefully measure the distance of each of the hinge bolts to make sure they are equal, and if they are I would tempted to back out each of the hinge bolts 1/2 turn and reset the lock nuts, as long as the total spacing is within specs as given on the plans (sorry, don't have my drawing in front of me right now). I remember mine was close, but no contact, and I set my bearing distance right in the middle of the given range.

I had the tiniest bit of contact between the elevator roll and the rivets attaching the powder coated bearing flanges to the HS rear spar. I massaged the roll without success then I just backed out the bearings about 1 turn to add clearance.

Steve

still thinking.....

Spent the morning on this...
Found a couple of the pop rivets you had to use on the ribs for the HS needed a little scotch brite to clean up slight contact with rolled edge.
Now still one small problem as Steve said...very very slight contact only at one of the eyebolt holes on roll, at full up elevator having a 3/8 length where it does touch the white hinge bracket.
I think i may just give er a nudge. Everything looks, and moves well, measures well.... just a very slight shiny spot on skin but its bugging me...i must make it go away.
Thanks for suggestions all. Much appreciated