Phil

Well Known Member
I'm hung up on 9-2 Steps 4, 5, & 6.

Top Right of this photo
http://www.myrv10.com/Plans/RV10_Plans_sec09-pg02.jpg

This is the step where you build the tip assembly for your elevators.

The goal is to flute the inboard tip rib and the outboard tip rib, so they align with the holes of the counter balance skin.

I've fluted, reversed them, fluted again, reversed them, and on, and on.

Now I'm just frustrated.

My question is tolerance. In the perfect world, you flute the pieces and they all line up. The closest I can get is about 25% of the holes perfect, 50% half a hole off, and 25% three-quarters of a hole off.

I can put it all together by forcing the clecos, but I'm concerned about loading the assembly and twisting it. - Ultimately leading to a twisted elevator.

I don't want to twist the elevator, but what's acceptable with these pieces?

Phil

Not that this helps you now, but I don't recall doing any fluting at all on the tip ribs. They just fit together fine without fluting. The first time I touched the fluting pliars was on the tailcone bulkhead tabs where it is specified to flute the tabs with two holes. I was told to always check fit first and flute last.
Good luck.

Phil,
I just finished this exact step this weekend.

Using a flat surface as a reference, I placed the rib with the web side down against the reference (not the flange). Then with only about 8 holes over the flat reference I fluted to get that section of the rib to lay flat. Then moved a few more holes over the reference and repeated until I was down the whole rib. When I was done with the rib, I checked it for twist. This is straighted just by twisting by hand.

Once both inboard and outboard ribs were done, they should lay flat against each other when placed back to back. When I added the counter balance skin, all the holes were aligned.
Mike

Like Mike, I fluted the tip ribs while having them lay web side down. Make sure you're using a perfectly flat surface--a back riveting plate works great for this. The holes weren't perfectly aligned with the tip skin when I was done, but they weren't more than 1/32" off, which is close enough for me.

By the way, check out this thread before riveting the tip ribs. You may save yourself from some frustration:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=3153

-Rob

I decided to take a clean shot at it, and this time they came out fine.

I think the real secret was getting rid of the cheap Avery Vice Grip Fluting pliers. I bought a real set and I'm really happy with the result.

By the time I finished, I only had two holes that were slightly off. After a little tweaking I even brought those holes within 1/32". They pretty much fall together now.

Very happy!

I think the real secret was getting rid of the cheap Avery Vice Grip Fluting pliers. I bought a real set and I'm really happy with the result.
Which fluting pliers did you replace them with? The Avery ones are generally considered great for the job...