lostpilot28

Well Known Member
I think my QB was built wrong. The Down elevator stop is sticking out to the rear really far. The first picture below shows what it looks like from the top. The square hole is covered up by about 1/2-inch of the elevator stop.

The 2nd picture is from the bottom. The plans show the "T" shaped stop positioned with the top of the "T" toward the front of the fuselage. Mine is reversed (as in the pic).

Can anyone confirm that this is wrong? What are my options for fixing this? If I have to remove the stop I think it's going to take a fair amount of work, but I could be wrong. Has anyone else seen this on a QB?

I get about 35 degrees of UP travel because the horns are swinging to the aft bulkhead, but I'm getting about 9 degrees of DOWN travel. Doh!

Picture%20005.jpg

Picture%20007.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Had similar drama with my QB. I double and triple checked plans etc which helped some but still could not get full horn travel. It is a basic fix so dont panick. I talked to Vans and ended up no dramas. Would suggest the same here.
Best luck ;)

Sooo

Hi Boxhead,
Can you tell me what Van's suggested to you? Should I remove & replace the part or is it OK to just grind it down with a dremel tool or file?

I had the opposite problem

and had to ADD metal to reduce the travel. When I spoke to Vans it sounded like they have had a few like this so my guess is they started putting in bigger stops that you grind down to size when you fit everything together.

Believe me its a lot easier to grind some off than have to put some back.

So just get out your die grinder and rotary burr and grind away until you get the right deflection.

Pretty simple and I don't think you need to remove the elevator to get a little grinder in there.

Cheers

Frank

Contact Vans

Lostpilot28, Has been a while and really wouldnt like to give you only half the info so just give vans a call and we will both sleep well over it!!
Mine also contacted rear fuse bulkhead. Vans gave me remedy for both!
Best Regards
Boxhead