prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm at the stage now to rivet the elevator spar to the upper side of the elevator skin. The plans just say to rivet it. It's a tricky area, because the flanges of the spar point to the inside, and so there's not much room there for bucking.

The Ordnorff video says the best way is to clamp the bottom side of the skin to the table, and pull the skin open (I've got mine held open with long strips of duct-tape pulling the top half of the skin up and open). It looks like it's going to be a two-person job (one to buck, one to rivet) any way I slice it. This is the first time I've encountered a spot I can't rivet by myself.

Did anyone here figure out a trick, or alternative way to rivet this? My instinct was to back-rivet it just as I did with the stiffeners, but I think i'd need some kind of offset back-rivet set, since the spar flange would get in the way of a straight back-rivet set.

Phil, you might as well go ahead and recruit that bucking partner. The elevators are a great place to begin that partnership. Believe me, you'll be needing their services many more times as you build!

While it was challenging, I was able to rivet these on my own. I used a 4" yoke to squeeze the rivets close to the ends and the rod-end bearing openings. Then I put some wood blocks between the spar and other side of the skin to prop it enough to get my bucking bar in the opening. I was surprised at how good these rivets came out. I think a back-riveting approach would be much more difficult.

Hi Phil,
I was able to rivet this solo, though it was slow and tedious work. Even with a helper it would still be pretty tricky, as you said getting the bucking bar just right is not easy...

Here's what I did, but spend some time trying different bars and techniques until you find something that feels right to you and your hands.

http://eastham-lee.com/rv/blog/20031204.html

Good luck,
Paul