Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Anyone have any advice on how to dimple the elevator skin where it attaches to the spar? I'm about to order a pop rivet gun dimple set.

Thanks

I've built at least 5 flush riveted aluminum airplanes using nothing but the pop-rivet dimpler.

C-frame

I have used a C-frame (from any of Avery, Cleaveland, etc.) for the middle row of dimples in a skin sheet. Works very well and I think much faster than a pop rivet dimple die set.

I threw a few pieces of scrap carpet (carpet samples work great) inside the skin, then set the c-frame dimpler on top of the carpet. Worked great and allowed for one-person dimpling.

You could do it that way, I suppose. I found it handier to keep the male die in the frame. I was able to get all but the forward-most dimpled pretty easily though you have to be careful not to let either the hammer or the tool scratch the inner skin. With effort, I was able to do the last couple of rivets nearest the bend; three or four hands help - have someone hold the skin open while you manipulate the dimpling tool and hammer. I used the dies in a hand squeezer wherever it would reach. The -9 is not that different from the -6.

Pop rivet dimplers

Ordered them today - I think it's really the only way to be sure I get nice clean dimples without risking creasing the skin. Thanks all.

T.

Exactly

Ahhh, so you put the male die in the upper rod and dimpled from the outside?

Exactly what I did. Worked very well. I have the pop rivet dimplers for both 3's and 4's, and elected to use this method instead. I never thought of the c-frame as a one-way sort of tool where the male die had to be on the bottom for any reason.

What do you all use for the mandrell in the pop riviter? I'm using the bronze colored shafts that came with the set but I only get 6-8 dimples before they break and I'm running out fast. I couldn't find anything at HD that had the right size or strong enough head. I like the pop-dimpler but I sure go through the nails.

What do you all use for the mandrell in the pop riviter? I'm using the bronze colored shafts that came with the set but I only get 6-8 dimples before they break and I'm running out fast. I couldn't find anything at HD that had the right size or strong enough head. I like the pop-dimpler but I sure go through the nails.

I use 6d steel finish nails, they seem to last longer.

Finish Nails

My set actually came with finish nails... I had a tendency at first to squeeze too hard, but I soon realized that the elevator skin dimples quite easily without a lot of squeeze pressure and the nails hold-up pretty well.