HIIFLY

Well Known Member
I have an RV-8 130.0 HRS. TT / NO CRACKS on either SB . :)
That being said , I have a question to all about installing a "WASHER " between the Spar and the Jam nut on the elevator Rod end hinges as a PREVENTIVE measure ???
. Or should we just make sure the nut is tight and keep watch as is . I understand that Van's Does Not recomend installing the reinforfement plates till there is a Crack !
So in the opinion of the members of this Forum what do you think ? Put the WASHER ON or Leave it as is till it Cracks ? Thanks to all in advance .
P.S. I EMAILED Vans' this Question last week and have Not yet received an answer .

I would be interested to hear Van's response to your email. Would you mind posting their response when you hear back?

I'm not part of Tech. Support so I can't say what their reply would be...
But if the washer was considered needed/beneficial, it would have been specified in the S.B.
So, I think that is likely the answer to your question.

I spoke with someone at Van's last week for technical assistance (can't remember the gentleman's name), and he seemed a bit puzzled about why washers would be installed under the jam nuts. He indicated that the cracking that caused the elevator service bulletin to be issued was due to misalignment of the elevator rod end bearings. I'm not flying yet but, in this area anyways, plan to stick closely to the plans (i.e. no washers). I also will make those jam nuts a routinely checked item as part of preflight inspections.

We added them to ours

When we repaired our crack, we added washers under all of ours and then put the locktite to them to keep them from coming free. The idea came from VAF and we decided it would not hurt anything.

Thanks to those who posted a reply , I thought there would be MORE interest in this washer ?? it looks to me like it would spread out some of the stress in this area , but I do not have the expertise to confirm it . BTW still no reply from VANS Email . :(
Sure is a Great Airplane though ! :D