mvidalr

Well Known Member
RV-8 Rudder skin damaged... need advise (help!)

Hello Folks!

I need some advise on a R-801PP rudder skin hole (3/32" dia., .020" sheet alum) which got damaged because I accidentally bent a cleco which was holding in place a R-815 rudder stiffener.

Before deciding whether to order a new skin, I'm thinking about enlarging this hole to 1/8" and use flush rivets AN426AD4-4 instead of AD3-3.5 in both skin and stiffener.

Am I thinking correctly? Is it something to be totally replaced, or just repaired?

Thanks!

Inner part of skin, dimpled and primed:
damagedR801PP.jpg

Here's a close-up with it's respective 3/32" flush rivet...:
damagedholeR801PP.jpg

Last edited:
I would try one of the oops rivets. One size larger body, small head. If you don't have any, Vans and the other suppliers have them or let me know what you want and I will mail you a couple. That would fill is enough to work - judging from the pictures. You could always use a little epoxy or proseal under the stiffener in that location to assure no problems in the future. There may be a spot on the airplane that one rivet could make the difference, but it isn't on that part of the rudder!

There is nothing wrong with using a little filler if you get is messed up a bit. Just make sure it is rated for aluminum and you prepare properly.

Wick's Aircraft Supply

I know Wick's has them -- I recently bought several different sizes. Very handy to have around the shop.