rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
So I'm about to attach my elevators to the HS. I have partially installed the rod end bearings into each elevator with a locking nut as shown in the drawings. I have not threaded them in to the specified depth yet. I'm just wondering why there isn't a washer under the lock nut on these. I hate to tear up my primer when I lock it down. Have most of your built per the plans or did you add a washer? I'm curious as to what is the standard way of doing this.

I just built mine to plan specs. There might not be enough room for a washer and the jam nut after your depth is set...I have to look at mine to be sure. I just tightened it down with blue loc tite (per Joe Blank at Vans) and brushed in primer to touch it up...left it at that.

Ray

Installing a washer before the jam nut would negate the jam nut's use. We are looking to bind the two nuts together by applying torque,
so neither nut can spin in either direction. So, no washers.
Regards.

Last edited:
Lorne is exactly right. If you want to preserve your primer, lightly prime around the nutplate opening just before adjusting the rod end and tighten down the jam nut while it is still wet. You should not have to remove or re-adjust these once you lock them down. Don't lock your rudder rod ends down until the VS is on the fuselage, but the same advice applies there. Locking them down on wet primer will give you slightly better grip when it cures.

Guys,

I get the double nut arrangement for locking nuts. How does the really work? I presume it is because two nuts when locked together get wedged to some extend and put some sort of force on the threads that makes it harder for the nuts to separate.

I'm not sure I get a nut locked to the spar with the nutplate on the other side as being the same. If the double nut case is really due to the force that is applied to the threads then I'm not sure how a washer would make any difference. Maybe I'm just not looking at this the right way.

Either way I'll do it per the plans and live with the primer issues.