RV6AussieNick

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I thought I might tap into the knowledge pool. I've searched the VAF archives and found a heap of info on this topic, I even emailed VANS but there email was rather vague.

I'm about to drill off my elevator horns and cant find any definitive information to help determine the correct stick positioning for the elevator in trail position.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find the info on my 20yr old drawings or give me an idea on how to position the stick on my RV6. From what I have found so far, position the lower portion of my stick in the vertical position but this looks like the stick is too far AFT, with the upper part of the stick in the vertical position compared to the spar web, looks to be the best position for full range of travel and feels like the most comfortable position for level flight.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Conventional wisdom says 5 degrees forward

With elevator in neutral trail, the stick should be about 5 degrees forward of vertical. Seeing as how you will always be interested in having comfortable full aft stick and rarely full forward, you should always opt for comfortable full aft. Your elevator stops are the ultimate limiter, of course, giving you 25-30 deg up, and 20-25 deg down. No matter what I or others say, you can position the stick where you feel best for your arm, keeping in mind neutral is where it will be most of the time...... :)

You don't have the original pushrods?

I found full up stick travel was limited by the forward rod end bearing of F689 binding in the clevis of Wd610. Ensuring this does not bind is critical and for me defined the final stick position. Dwg 40 shows the approximate neutral elevator position with the sticks (top and bottom) inclined forward.

5 degrees forward

With the stick in the 5 degrees forward position the stick grip hits the GPS under the main panel before the elevator down stops hit.

I'm using all the original elevator rods that are still locked at there original lengths, The elevator stops are set to the correct elevator deflection for up and down so I know I've got that part right.

I'm probably looking at this process too deeply, but still don't want to drill before I know I have considered all possible problems.

Plans did not anticipate under panel GPS mounts...

You point out the many different obstruction possibilities with our RVs. Don't know where under your panel the GPS is mounted, but your situation calls for making the compromises necessary so your stick functions without obstruction, including shortening the stick length so your grip clears. Then you will trade off stick leverage for clearance. Is it your side clearance where the GPS hits and are your aileron tubes connected? Have a picture?

Job done

After hours of weighing up my options I ended up drilling off the elevator horns today, The stick isn't 5 degrees forward, more like vertical, All things considered I think its a good compromise for free movement of controls and comfort.

I spent hours looking over my drawings and still couldn't find the information I was looking for so I used my judgment and decided to drill off.

Cheers,