dwilson

Well Known Member
Well I did a BooBoo! Had a dremel with cutoff wheel attached spinnig at umpteen thousand RPMs. Wheel nicked the elevator push tube.

How do I decide if it is OK to use or if I need to replace it? How do I tell the depth of the nick acurately?

Thanks,
Duane

You get nicks and you get NICKS. In any event I would not take a chance with something so critical if it were me . A new tube cannot cost so much?
Just my 2 cents.

Nick?

I agree with Will, but the 10% rule is super conservative. Look if it blended out and the area is small and not more than say 0.010 you will be OK. The loads are LOW. However to be sure and ease your mind, document what the nick depth and what it bends out to and ask Van's. Estimate the depth. DO you have some calipers? You could measure the diameter at the nick and away and figure the depth by the difference. Anther way is a straight edge and estimate it by the eye or wire thin wire gauge of some kind. YOU just want to make sure it is not paper thin.

IN tension the area lost is nil. In compression would it be weaker (stability, buckling)? No I can't believe it makes much difference for the low loads, but the worst place for the nick and compression buckling is mid length. Towards the ends I would not an issue at all. You have a right to be cautious. The rule is if you don't know ask. Good job. The bend should be 15 to 1 and smooth. Try not to make it deeper and keep the power tools away. Use emery cloth and work slow, don't over work the area; you are just shooting for no sharp edges.

If you want measure it and give details, depth, width, length and re-post, for us the peanut gallery. :D

George

Last edited:
Decided.

I ordered a new tube yesterday. It will only take a couple of hours to remake and then I will have the peace of mind knowing it is OK.

Thanks for the coments and advice.

Duane