Brambo

Well Known Member
After attaching both elevators for the first time and checking for alignment I was surprised to find that although the elevators align with the horizontal stab perfectly, the elevator horns are out of alignment vertically (in other words one is lower than the other)

FP02062006A0001E.jpg

The picture shows the horizontal stab upside down. I put the dowel in for illustration. My question is: Is this going to be a problem? If so, how in the world can I fix it?

Thanks

Brambo
RV7

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you drill the center pivot and pushrod pivot holes straight. Vans even says that there could be obvious differences in each horn and they make provisions for as much in the instructions for drilling the holes. I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

Mine was like this and every thing works OK with the pushrod connected. Make sure when you drill the holes in the horns for the pushrod that you have at least the minium edge distance to the bottom of EACH horn.
Fin
9A Australia

Last edited:
Don't make my mistake!

I agree that you should be able to drill those horns and have perfectly good operation. But let me share with you one of the mistakes I made....

I drilled the holes for the bearing bolt exaclty as the insturciotns said - made a drill block, drilled through the bearing into one horn, then back through to the other - the hole was perfectly aligned, and the elevators were smooth as glass. then I went to put the nut on the bolt - and couldn't turn it! I hadn't paid too much attnetion to where the hole was in relation to the torque tubes, and it got so close that the points on the nut interfered with the tube! :mad:

So...before you drill the hole, I'd sugest you check for clearance, and if it is to tight, screw the rod end hinges out a little to open it up. Silly me...back then, I actually TRUSTED the measurements on the drawings.... :rolleyes:

Build on!

Paul

I drilled mine out of alignment also. But I happened to have an extra elevator horn from a damaged elevator. I cut the extra horn about four inches long (maybe five) and rivited it to the original, with more rivits than attach to the elevator, and with flanges opposite. Drilled a much straighter hole, the second time around. The extra flange now rest's against the elevator stop, and adds a bit of weight to counter my C/S prop. ;)

I hear that there are welding options also.