mattsmith

Well Known Member
I drilled the elevator horns today and screwed up. the directions say to make a hard wood drill block and use the aft most elevator horn hole as a guide to drill the second elevator horn. I drilled the wood block on a drill press to make sure it was square and clamped it in between the horns. After I drilled through the assembly the horns are not in alignment. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am hoping I haven't made a huge mistake.

Elevator Horns

Matt

What do you mean when you say they are not in alignment? As long as the elevators are even when the bolt passes thru the hole, the horns will not be exactly matched up.

You're rite and I forgot that part the elevators are not in trail with each other, about .6 degrees out from one another.

misalignment

Matt, on both of my own planes that I built, the horns were not in alignment. Both were slow build. One was well over 1/4" out. Things were not that accurate 20 years ago but worked out fine. The only thing that's important is that you grind the stops uneven. Steve Call me any time with questions.