jls32

When I cleco the elevator HORN to the elevator spar (702) and the end ribs (705), the holes do not align so when I match drilled them I was left with holes slightly oblonged in the aluminum and out of spec (0.135 vs 0.141 for a #4 rivet). I've scrap'd 5 parts now. The holes in the steel horns are perfectly round.

Anyone else have this issue?

I don't know why Vans pre-punched holes in these aluminum pieces.

Last edited:
Photo?

Based on your description I’m having a difficult time understanding what is happening. I will say that any time the parts wouldn’t cleco together i was doing something wrong. Some part is misaligned.

Perhaps you could post a photo of what you are doing.

Based on your description I’m having a difficult time understanding what is happening. I will say that any time the parts wouldn’t cleco together i was doing something wrong. Some part is misaligned.

Perhaps you could post a photo of what you are doing.

The parts would cleco together, but the holes were slightly off and running a drill through the top steel part created an oblong hole in the bottom aluminum part.

Wish I could post pics but this website won't host them and it's too much of a PITA to host and link myself. I subscribe to probably 5-6 other forums and this is the ONLY one that doesn't allow pics....

Call vans. They will ask for pics. If your horn weldement was mis-manufactured they will probably send you a new one.

I had a similar issue with a gear mount. Turns out there was a shop head that interfered with it sitting properly.

Wish I could post pics but this website won't host them and it's too much of a PITA to host and link myself. I subscribe to probably 5-6 other forums and this is the ONLY one that doesn't allow pics....

Yes it will, that was changed 2 or 3 years ago.

As I recall the process is ;Click the paper clip, browse your files, double click the photo you want, click upload.

When I cleco the elevator HORN to the elevator spar (702) and the end ribs (705), the holes do not align so when I match drilled them I was left with holes slightly oblonged in the aluminum and out of spec (0.135 vs 0.141 for a #4 rivet). I've scrap'd 5 parts now. The holes in the steel horns are perfectly round.

Anyone else have this issue?

I don't know why Vans pre-punched holes in these aluminum pieces.

Have you trial cleko'd the skins to the spar/rib structures yet? Do all the perimeter holes line up?
-If not, than the bent flange between the 709 & 702 may have been bent at a wrong radius & requires a bit of tweeking.
-If all the skin perimeter rivet holes do line up, you could proceed with the slightly offset elevator horn brackets by drilling additional rivet holes between the existing pre-punched holes, adding 5 extra rivets to each horn flange. I'd still fill the slightly offset holes with rivets too, for aesthetic reasons mostly but even if not perfect will add strength anyhow.

The parts would cleco together, but the holes were slightly off and running a drill through the top steel part created an oblong hole in the bottom aluminum part.

Try this..... https://vansairforce.net/community/s...6&postcount=63