RobinHou

Well Known Member
The instructions call for 1/4 OD and 3/32 ID. The closest thing I can find in my local hardware store is 1/4 OD with .049 wall which makes the ID around .152 or a little smaller then 5/32.

Any suggestion?

I used thinwall brass tubing

...from a local hobby shop. They have a bunch of sizes and each one nests nicely in the next. Just cut off about 1" from each size, nested them together, and presto! instant drill bushing. The tubes cost about $1 to $2 each.

20100426-04-tn.jpg

Brake tubing

I used brake tubing from a local auto parts store ( I think it was Advance, but NAPA would be best if near you). There are many different sizes. Just take a caliper with you and start measuring. The tubing is about the right hardness so you don't have to worry about enlarging it with the bit. These worked in any application I had for a drill guide.

can someone post the mcmaster carr part # that is relevant to this?
I think the bushing I ordered from McMaster-Carr was part# 8491A784. It has a 1/4" OD and inner diameter setup for a #40 drill. As others have found, it was slightly to big, so I had to chuck it into my drill press and reduce the OD until it would fit through the bearing.

Robin,

I Drilled a pilot hole using a bushing that I purchased from ACE. Vans calls for an inside diameter of 3/32 but the closest I could find was 7/64. After disassembly I was able to final drill it to 1/4 inch. I would highly recomend using a new sharp 1/4 inch bit for the final hole.

Good luck..