ctbecker

Well Known Member
When I fabricated the down stop (all riveted) for the elevators, I over cut and the down angle on the elevators is now about 30 degrees. The plans call for 20-25 degrees. Need some advice

N464CB(r) 8A
Fuselage

If you take the bottom two AN bolts out of the bearing bracket and replace them with longer AN bolts and use washers you can make the stop the correct length. It is a easy fix.

Elevator down angle

ctbecker said:
When I fabricated the down stop (all riveted) for the elevators, I over cut and the down angle on the elevators is now about 30 degrees. The plans call for 20-25 degrees. Need some advice
Is this installed with the all the controls on? What is your UP angle?

Kirk, I have to say I don't understand your proposed fix. Can you clarify?

Actually, I'm 5 degrees short on the up side. The HS is right on. Its almost like it is 1/4 inch too far back, but it not.

Elevator down angle

ctbecker said:
Actually, I'm 5 degrees short on the up side. The HS is right on. Its almost like it is 1/4 inch too far back, but it not.
You don't want to be short on the up side, that's for sure.

Is it possible that the bearings in the HS that attach the elevator are too far out?

Hi Mickey,
The VA-146 bracket on DWG 3 section E-E if you replace the bottom AN3-5A bolts with AN3-7A bolts and use washers to take up the slack you can adjust the down travel. This tip comes from a highly experienced A&P who I trust very much.
All the Best

Drawings

KirkGrovesRV8 said:
The VA-146 bracket on DWG 3 section E-E if you replace the bottom AN3-5A bolts with AN3-7A bolts and use washers to take up the slack you can adjust the down travel. This tip comes from a highly experienced A&P who I trust very much.
Thanks Kirk - I'll have a look at this when I get back to the shop. I don't have the drawings with me.

Actually, the while the down travel is too large, the real problem is with up travel. The Elevator horns are contacting the rear bulkhead and not allowing the up travel past 24.3 degrees. Adding washers would only make it worse.

I am sorry Charlie I guess I am not understanding your problem.... When the elevators are down the horns go forward...when the elevators are up the horns go aft....so if you don't have enough up elevator you need to trim more off the aft stop..if you have too much down than if you add the longer bolts it will act as a down elevator stop. I had to take the aft stop off and trim some off of mine as well as add the longer bolts to bring the up and down stops into specs...
Best of luck

The aft stop is flush across. When the horns move aft, they contact the angle and the 12 bulkhead at the same time. It shouldnt be happening, but it is. The bulkheads lined up exactly with the prepunches in the skins, but it is like the 812 bulkhead is 1/2 in forward.

Gap between elevator and HS

Charlie, how large is the gap between the HS and the elevator? Do you have room to screw the elevator attach bearings in 1/4"? I think we're going to need some pictures to help much more!

Mickey, thanks for the suggestion. I decreased the bearings to 11/16ths and it made enough difference to get to 25.5 degrees. A little mods on the horns and I should be fine.

Charlie

On mine, I kept cutting the angle till the horns contacted the aft bulkhead (812?). Had to file away a little of the aft part of the horns to get the correct up angle. Didn't have to cut away enough to affect proper edge distance though.

Last resort effort might be to weld up the holes in the horns, re-drill them forward to the limits of proper edge distance and cut off some of the aft part so that you get the right up angle as the horns reach the up stop.

Mannan