Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Flying back from Oshkosh with my son in the back seat we notice that the elevator horns were deflected up about 1? for the nose down trim I had rolled in. How much shim under the forward horizontal attach point will it take to correct this issue?:confused:

First make sure that you want to do this. Do you normally fly solo? If so then you want the trim to be probably where it is. Without a rear seat passenger, you will require less "down" trim. If you do decide that you want the trim condition for 2-up, just try adding a little at a time. I wouldn't add more than 1/8" at a time. Maybe even 1/16".

Solo, my elevator horns were deflected up less than 1/2". A 1/8" shim was perfect. I am flying an RV-8 that is on the nose heavy side. Yours may end up quite different.

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Elevator trim varies with speed and altitude.

Dayton,

When I first started flying my RV-9A, I found that the trim not only varies with true airspeed, but also with density altitude. I put in the suggested shim height from Van's plans and found that at 12,500 feet at 160 MPH TAS, the elevator was in trail with me and my usual cross-country baggage.

Like Mel said, change the loading, the trim changes. I was happy with the fact that the type of flying I do most, cruising up high, the drag from the elevator was at minimum - - in trail with the horizontal stabilizer.

I searched my web site and found no photos of the tail while in high cruise flight.

I don't have any advice for you. My 8 seems to ride about a quarter inch,

but I really enjoyed meeting and camping next to you guys!

cheers