1911pilot

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
Have you been able to get the 9 Elevator counterbalance rib webs flat so that they perfectly match each other? Mine have a bit of a bow in them that causes there to be a small gap in between the webs. Its hard to estimate but it looks to be between 1/8" and 1/16" at the rear tooling hole and the counterbalance weight holes. The skin goes on fairly well, and I've tried to bend the flanges with my hand seamer and flute fairly aggressively to get any bow out of the web.

Any ideas?

Jeff,
I remember that rib was long and it's next to impossible for me to make it perfectly straight. In assembly with skins it will find its right place. Just do your best and make sure you do not force clecos when putting it together. Here is a picture I found from 2006 :)

elevatorcounterbalancerib.jpg

I had the same problem

if you are referring to a bow in the webs in a top to bottom direction. What I wound up doing was supporting the ribs on a couple of boards placed under the rib flange area with the flanges pointed up and then hitting a block placed on top of the web with a hammer a couple times. It helped, but wasn't perfect. I still had a bit of a gap, which I didn't measure. I clamped the webs together when I set the web rivets, and I think it turned out OK.

Its the bow between the Rib webs when they are riveted together (or placed/clecoed together). I can get everything to line up for the holes, Just wondering if the bow between the ribs is OK or not. Its more a forward to aft direction. There is about 1/16" between the 2 rib webs at the 3 counterbalance holes on the forward end of both ribs. This is when they are clecoed together as well as Riveted. I even tried to clamp them together before riveting the first time around and it didn't help.

Normal, normal, normal

The bow is absolutely normal. I had the same problem on mine. Make sure you flute the forward flanges of the ribs, that will help alleviate some of the bow but not all. As soon as you rivet them together to the counterbalance skin the bow is gone. Build on and don't worry about it.