Glingerburner

I'm New Here
Here's another query on another old coconut.

Having atached the elevators to the HS before drilling the horns, I find that both my elevator trailing edges are individually straight, but as a pair they are higher at the centre than at the tips, resulting in a very shallow V shape ( looking at it with the bottom skins up) The depth of the V is about 0.24" at the inboard edges, using fishing line to measure from tip to tip.
The HS appears to be plumb along its length.

At the same time, when the right elevator is clamped 'in trail' to the counterbalance skin, the left elevator counterbalance skin is 0.34" below the HS skin.

The elevator horns are very nearly symetrical when the elevators are aligned in 'best position', an uncommon situation, by all accounts.

This I know suggests that one or both elevators are warped. Are there any sensible fixes, if not how does one ensure that it does not happen again. It's all very well producing dead straight edges, of which I was exceedingly proud at the time, but totally useless if that means the elevator is warped.

One thread suggests taking the rivets out of the end rib and massaging them - what does that mean? Another suggests drilling out the trailing edge rivets and re-drilling with bigger rivets. Quite a few threads suggest that RV's rarely have counterbalance skins that are perfectly in trail, so perhaps I should not be too concerned.

Any advice gratefully received.

Richard

Warped maybe..

Hi Richard,
It's very possible that they're warped even with straight trailing edges. Position yourself several feet away from the trailing edges and squat down some until the trailing edges are midways compared to the forward part of the elevators...in other words, you should see some elevator above and below the line that the trailing edges make. If there is some warp, you'll see it.

Regards,

possible warps

.....another thing to keep in mind is that making it perfect is tough, very tough. Some twist you may have to live with.