flickroll

Well Known Member
I have a pair of PMags installed in my -8. The PMag installation manual says that the ignition wires must not contact each other in a parallel wire run. The PMag manual shows one method to keep the wires separated using rubber tubing and Ty-Raps. I did not like this method very much and started looking for an alternative. What I found are tubing clamps at McMaster-Carr. These come in various sizes, although I used this part number for my installation: 7429K43.

Here's a link to the page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1490/=4agvm2

These clamps are good for over 200 deg F. I used them for separation of the ignition leads that run to the lower plugs (a high heat environment), and there is no evidence of heat damage to the clamps. I have around 20 hours since the installation and so far so good! Here's a picture:

web.jpg

Nice!

Hi Jim:

Your post was a timely one, thank you. I am currently installing my Pmag wires and used the suggested ty-wrap separation method and was looking for a better solution. I like the clamps you used.

I am bit challenged finding a route for the wire runs going to the left Pmag. Between the oil filter and the upper oil cooler return line, it is a crowded area.

How did you run your wires to the left mag? Do you have any pictures of your left Pmag wire runs you can post?

Thank in advance.

Mike Draper

RV-8
N468RV
TMX 0360, CS
Finishing

Hi Jim:

Your post was a timely one, thank you. I am currently installing my Pmag wires and used the suggested ty-wrap separation method and was looking for a better solution. I like the clamps you used.

I am bit challenged finding a route for the wire runs going to the left Pmag. Between the oil filter and the upper oil cooler return line, it is a crowded area.

How did you run your wires to the left mag? Do you have any pictures of your left Pmag wire runs you can post?

Thank in advance.

Mike Draper

RV-8
N468RV
TMX 0360, CS
Finishing

Mike, tomorrow I need to remove the lower cowl. I'll take a number of shots and post.

Thanks Jim. Also any suggestions related to avoiding abrasion related issues with the wire runs would be appreciated.

Mike

RV-8
N468RV
TMX 0360, CS
Finishing

I made up custom wires for my Lightspeed ignitions since the supplied wires were not the correct lengths for where I ended up putting the coils. Also, I wanted to use straight connectors on the bottom cylinders for clearance around the manifolds. I got the parts from Summit Racing, including the separators shown in the picture at the top. Notice that they have a hole drilled through with a countersink. I ignored the countersink and drilled the holes out to AN-3 and attached them to Adel clamps using a bolt and capturing them between washers.

Since I'm not using magnetos, I can't help you with the routing but I just wanted to point out another method of using them and also mention Summit, a good source of stuff for the experimental aviation (not to mention automotive) engine buff.

Well packaged

Jim

Thanks for posting the detailed photos. I found them to be very helpful and they have already given me some good ideas.

Nice job on securing all the wires.

Mike