jwyoungjr

I would like to replace one mag on my rv-6a /0-360 /cs prop with either a light speed or a p-mag. Now that there is more experience with the p-mag, would you give me your take of performance, gph, and installation.
Thank you

No Brainer

jwyoungjr said:
I would like to replace one mag on my rv-6a /0-360 /cs prop with either a light speed or a p-mag. Now that there is more experience with the p-mag, would you give me your take of performance, gph, and installation. Thank you
What difference would it make if some one posted they got 3% better economy verses 4%, or picked up 2 mph verses 3 mph. Would that make a difference to your decision? Have you decided on the P-mag already or are you on the fence about EI at all?

(I am surprised no one has answered you but than again it may be because its difficult to pin down hard numbers. I don't have P/E-mag spacific experience, but have used electronic ignition and followed the P/E mag folks developments. I guess when I read your post/question I am wondering why you need to switch from a magneto in the first place. I am all for EI. I think a more important question than performance and economy gain is reliability, installation, operation and support. All EI will give you HP gain and lower fuel burn. So to answer your question I'll give you my rant and rave on performance claims first. Last I give my take on the differnt brands, read at your own risk. :eek: In the end may be no EI is best for you. Why have EI? If you don't fly a lot or long distance much, its not going to make economic sense if you already have working magnetos. You have to save lots of gas to pay for an EI.)

First if you have the time plow thru the CAFE FOUNDATION ORG research articles, find the 3 part article comparing an Electroair EI to Magnetos. THESE ARE THE HARD NUMBERS you are looking for, but it took The Cafe Foundation to publish a 3 part article and LOTS of graphs to explain. They also go in single EI and dual EI combos. The Electroair and P/E-mag should give very similar performance since they use the same technology. The P/E-mag might make some compromises or concessions to fit their unit in that small package, but it should be close.

(OPINON ALERT: :eek: I don't think the P/Emag is a "Performance EI", but the differences are very small between EI brands. Even P/E-mag states that absolute performance was not the goal. I am reading between the lines but that means they made a concession to get the unit into a stand alone compact package (which is awesome). Also P/Emag does not publish technical specs like Lightspeed. Bottom line, between EI and traditional magnetos there is a clear difference.)

http://www.cafefoundation.org/research.htm

There are times you burn MORE fuel with EI, because it allows you to burn more fuel efficiently. Granted you are rewarded with more power and thus airspeed. It makes sense, you make more power you will go faster, but nothing is FREE, you will burn more fuel. Now if you want to save fuel, EI does that as well. To get better MPG with EI depends in part on the pilot and how you fly. In general most of the economy gain with EI is by flying high (below 75% power). EI really shines in burning a lean mixture which is hard to do, but EI does it well, which allows you to run leaner and waste less fuel (oversimplified but makes point).

Bottom line is read the above research by cafe foundation OR believe me ANY electronic ignition on the market, Lasar, Lightspeed, P/E-mag or Electroair WILL all give you better performance/economy over all. Is it a big deal if is 3% verses 4%? Its ALL GOOD. :)

Exact numbers are hard to quantify and mean little out of context (ie how they actually fly). People that putt-putt around down low benifit less, where a fast RV-6 with 180hp c/s prop, going places, will benifit a lot. Even if you don't save HUGE fuel or go WAY faster there are other benefits that are not perf/econ numbers..........................

Here is my take:
-An EI of any brand is a no is a NO brainer, get it.
-Most benifit comes from the replacing the first mag.
-Round ball park numbers expect better overall power (2%-6%)
-Round ball park numbers expect better fuel economy in cruise (**caveat**)
-EI should be very reliable and cost of owner ship lower than typ Magneto
-It will give smoother operations
-Less maintenance

I guarantee from all I have read and from my own experience (but not with P-mag), you get a little more power and (potentially) better gas milage. I say potentially because there is no sure thing in fuel economy. The pilots hand on the throttle and mixture play an important part in economy.

Caveat:
At 75% power or less, using optimal leaning, a EI should return about 2% to 5% and better overall economy. The second EI will give an additional 1% to 2%. Max efficency in cruise should be 6%-10% in some (not all) flight conditions. Lightspeed says they see up to 15% better econ with dual Plasma ignition. I believe them, but it takes effort and tailored flying (real high) to achieve this. You will not see this at the pumps. Also when you talk % economy most gain comes at LOW power setting when FF is already at less, 6% may only be 1/2 GPH. If you only fly around with your hair on fire down in the weeds and never lean, than no EI will help. :p

As far as power, its hard to measure a few HP and top speed, but LASAR claims you see as much as 6% hp. This increase is above 8,000 feet, when the engine is at lower percent power (68% to 72%). At 12,000 feet they claim 12% more power! That illustrates the point, to get the best economy advantage with EI you need to fly higher. So performance numbers from someone means little since they can vary from nothing to 12%. The point is there are overall benifits in many areas.

Decision:
It makes sense to get an EI, but than its a GRAND or MORE! Magnetos work just fine. They do. How much fuel do you have to save to pay for EI? With EI you are running spark plugs with HUGE gaps (way bigger than a magneto could fire), because the ignition can fire at those gaps. Your resultant spark is VERY hot. Next is duration. The sparks are FAT and last for a longer duration/crank rotation. Last timing's NOT fixed. It advances at lower power automatically. Magnetos are fixed at 25 degrees BTDC, but works pretty damn well, but not great. If cars drove around with fixed 25 magnetos they would get 2 miles to the gallon. However a plane operates in a very narrow RPM and power band 90% of the time, so 25 degrees is a good compromise, working surprisingly well.

What Brand:
The question is what EI is better. It seems you are attracted to the P-mag and made that choice already. Good choice. I don't have one but it looks like a winner. I noticed they just went thru a major revision of their design, all for the better. The decision of brand is more about features, fit, form and function, than performance for most.

Lightspeed: From pure performance and performance minded features the Lightspeed is hands down winner in my book. It is the only CDI ignition and will give better performance and operate at a lower voltage. Down side, if you want to think of it as a CON, is the separate coil/box and it cost more. However if PURE performance and/or economy is the goal, plus the added features (RPM/MAP and Cockpit timing adjust display) appeal to you, than its the way to go. Here is a page on their site that gives some perf and econ claims: http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/Products/DualSystems.htm

P/E-mag is the winner of easiest to install. Plus its the only self powered design. The thing I DON'T like about the P/E-mag was the odd computer connectors they used. I don't see those as being suitable for aircraft engine compartments. They have revised the connector design. It's better but still not crazy about it. MIL spec electrical coupling connectors are heavy duty but expensive. No doubt they made a compromise. They also had little deicate dip swithces but got rid of those. I have not heard of major problems anyway. They don't make performance or econ claims. There are no published specs: spark intensity, duration and total advance like lightspeed does? Only from the fact the coil package is smaller and drives 4 plugs VS. 2 plugs, I guess it could have a little less ZAP. I could be totally wrong and don't think its a huge deal.

Electroair uses same technology with the P/E-mag. They both use INDUCTIVE automotive style coils, which works well and is a lower cost technology. The separate brain box and hall effect triggers may appeal to many. I think having the electronics in a cool location, not shaking, is a good thing, however it adds wiring that P/E-mag does not need. Electroair has some IMO inflated economy claims from min 10% to 30%. Also they need to come down in price. They are the most expensive.

LASAR: I don't care for it; however if you have a certified plane its the only game in town. The LASAR falls back on the built-in magneto if the EI part fails, which is the negative of the design for me. No doubt that was the best and easiest way to get it certified. However, I don't want to carry around a completed set of magnetos to back up the EI. For some reason folks seem to have more CHT problems with LASAR? That's a different thread, but I have seen bargain deals for them on eBay. Interesting, look at there site for there claims. It should give you an idea of what you can expect from most EI's. I do think the LASAR give good performance.

http://www.unisonindustries.com/products/lasar_performance_gains/lasar_perform_gains_eight.html

http://www.unisonindustries.com/products/lasar_performance_gains/lasar_perform_gains_seven.html

Good luck, George

Last edited:
I agree with George. The question is, do you want EI? If so, then get it. That's what experimentals are all about. Personally I ran an EI for about 6 years. When I started having problems with it, I changed back to 2 mags. To be honest, I don't see a difference in performance or fuel burn. Now, most of my flying is below 75% power and below 10,000'. One of my mags is getting high time and I considering going back to EI. I ran the numbers and discovered that if you get all that is promised by the EI folks the break even point is about 8 years. I'll stick with mags. They work beautifully, are reliable, and cheaper.
Mel...DAR

Ei

A few facts about LASAR (some 900 hrs of experience), It is mamaged ignition timing which alters with requirements of the engine's status. Unlike other EI systems, the timing map in LASAR is tailored after the engine being used. all of which happen to be Lycomings. Fuel savings is real and in the case of engines equiped with FI and C/S prop, the savings can reach as much as 20%. With all sorts of talk in aviation about redundency, LASAR has it, others don't and/or require a seperate power supply , in some cases. LASAR back up works automatically. One of the most dramatic improvement for LASASR is spark plug life. The 900 hrs is one without any visible footbal shaped center electrodes, which most will concur, is the demise of the plug. The clean combustion chamber resulting from its use proves that all fuel is being used, hence, it's fuel economy performance. We hear of shock cooling, non existant with LASAR. As to high CHT, this is indeed a folly agravated by shear misinterpretation. Unison cautions that it will exibit higher CHT, the number being 15 to 25 deg, which is hardly on any consequence.
All this from a Piper Arrow. My RV10 will be outfited with LASAR and with findings with the Arrow (illegal experiment) will use mogas, which further decreased fuel consumption. As to performance, with the Arrow cruise speed was increased by nearly 12 kts. enabling it to cruise ar a true 145 kt (top speed for 180 Arrow is 147 kt), not too shabby to be able to cruise at top speed of the aircraft. Above 8000F, climb increased vastly by 200 to 400 FPM. There was also more speed with the use of mogas.
The investment of LASAR was realised in less that 300 hr.
Just a few thoughts.
T88
RV10/LASAR

Thank's

George that was great advise, I don't know about Mr.Young but you sure hit the nail on the head for me.
RV-9 builder
putting 0-320 together as we speak.
G.P.

I don't know about any of these systems first hand, however I know another company that makes EI is Aerosparks... http://www.aerosparks.com/

I know the guy that designed that system, and he knows a heckufalot more about electronics than I do, he's a really smart guy.

tacchi88 said:
....facts about LASAR ......It is mamaged ignition timing which alters with requirements of the engine's status. Unlike other EI systems, the timing map in LASAR is tailored after the engine being used........With all sorts of talk in aviation about redundency, LASAR has it, others don't..................LASAR back up works automatically..........We hear of shock cooling, non existant with LASAR......the Arrow cruise speed was increased by nearly 12 kts...........T88 RV10/LASAR
A recent wingtip to wingtip comparison: When my little ole (FP) 160HP 0-320D1A RV-6A walked away from the local 240 HP IO-470 V-tail Bonanza by a decisive 15MPH groundspeed margin, (196MPH to 181MPH) somehow I knew the factory installed LASAR was quietly working its programmed magic, the mags (although permanently on-call), dutifully relegated to a semi-retired status. At that moment, I knew LASAR paid for itself in ways only the ego can understand. The dollars will catch up in a few hundred hours. :D
firewall15159xl.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 109 hours

Last edited:
jwyoungjr said:
I would like to replace one mag on my rv-6a /0-360 /cs prop with either a light speed or a p-mag. Now that there is more experience with the p-mag, would you give me your take of performance, gph, and installation.
Thank you

I replaced a mag with an E-mag (same as a p-mag without the generator) 18 months ago. I don't have any hard performance numbers, but static rpm is about 50 higher (overhaulled the engine to 160hp from 150 shortly after installing the e-mag so comparisons are difficult). The installation was very straight forward, but there are 2 small gotchas.
- You will have to supply power to the P-mag, very few people have an electrical bus on the engine side of the firewall, so you will probably have install a new firewall penetration. You can use the mag p-lead with the P-mag. I grounded mine to the vac pad.
- If you decide to use the manifold pressure input to the P-mag plumbing in the pressure take-off can be a little tricky.

Overall it is not difficult at all, but the 2 or 3 hours quoted by E-mag is slightly optimistic, it took me 6 or 7. I could do it again much more quickly than the first time (isn't that always the case!), and have been very happy with the change. Plugs now cost <$2.00 and rarely have to be gapped. I can just about run lean of peak - never could with mags - the engine is much smoother as I lean (I have a carb). I tend to fly around with the throttle wide open most of the time so don't see any fuel savings :D

I have not used or installed a Lightspeed system. I think for retrofit applications a P-mag is much easier. If building from new (airplane & engine) there is less of a difference. If you compare an E-mag to a Lightspeed system the E-mag is several hundred $ cheaper. Difficult to directly compare the P-mag as Lightspeed is not self powered. Many Reno racers seem to use Lightspeed.

If I had 2 mags that were working well, then I can see little justification to spend $800 minimum per side to get electronic ignition. I needed some work one one of my mags so EI was an easier decision. I still have an impulse mag. An E-mag or P-mag is much easier to retrofit than a Lightspeed. Performance wise I can't see there being that much difference between the 2 systems, both will be slightly better than mags.

Yours, Pete

George, Mel, t88, Stephen, Rich, and Pete, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me get out of the fog concerning an EI. I will now wait until my mag goes bad and then replace it. It sounds like which ever EI is selected will be an improvement over the mag.
Thanks again!

More the merrier

osxuser said:
I don't know about any of these systems first hand, however I know another company that makes EI is Aerosparks... http://www.aerosparks.com/

I know the guy that designed that system, and he knows a heckufalot more about electronics than I do, he's a really smart guy.
Interesting looks like a MSD ignition:

http://msdignition.com/ignition_28_7010.htm
http://msdignition.com/pdf/7010_7020_frm21558.pmd.pdf

I wish he would have some pictures of the installation? ]

Looking at CDI ignitions for cars the price EI for airplanes is a bargain.
A basic 4 cyl CDI system for a car is $500-$800 plus wires and plugs, so
$995 for an airplane spacific unit is not bad.

George

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Interesting looks like a MSD ignition:

http://msdignition.com/ignition_28_7010.htm
http://msdignition.com/pdf/7010_7020_frm21558.pmd.pdf

I wish he would have some pictures of the installation? ]

Looking at CDI ignitions for cars the price EI for airplanes is a bargain.
A basic 4 cyl CDI system for a car is $500-$800 plus wires and plugs, so
$995 for an airplane spacific unit is not bad.

George
At some point I might be able to get some for you George, I know a few people at WHP that have this setup on their airplanes. I just have to catch one of them with the cowl off and my Camera handy.