I USE THE EFBs

contained on the True Flight Flight Cheetahs and the iFly 700 in the RVs --- work great for sectionals, enroute and approach. I keep them updated monthly at very low cost.

iFly 700 for me

I use the iFly 700 for all my IFR and VFR chart/approach plate requirement. Easy and cheap and extremely useful.

I am using my IPAD as an EFB. I carry a couple of old sectionals and AFD. I am not flying much IFR these days but would print and approaches that I would likely use if I were. The IPAD is very reliable and battery life is exceptional. No doubt an EFB is in most of our futures.

in sunlight?

Can't read an iPad in the sun. Since I would prefer not to roll the -8 upside down every time I want to look at the map, I have not made the jump to EFB yet.

Solutions?

I use Ipad EFB but the screen is too bright at night
You'll need a sun screen from Target's baby department cut to fit
Otherwise it's blinding

You can adjust that...

..by going into "settings" and on the left there is a label "Brightness and wallpaper". Tap on that and a brightness slider appears that you can drag to dim or brighten with your finger.

Best,

..by going into "settings" and on the left there is a label "Brightness and wallpaper". Tap on that and a brightness slider appears that you can drag to dim or brighten with your finger.

Best,

Or, shortcut:

Double-click the HOME button, slide the shortcut bar to go the screen to the left. There's a brightness control there, as well as the screen rotate lock button.

Ive owned an iphone for yearsand the operation of the IPad is the same
It's still too bright, turn it on in your house with lights off at night
It makes a wonderful nightlight

OUCH!

Garmin 696!

It costs 6 times as much. Yes, it can do so much more.....but sometimes putting all the capability in one box means that you can only do one thing at a time. So nice to have an EFB -iPad in your lap, so you can use your Garmin for other things.

I don't know what the screen-brightness setting was on the one I tried - it was a friend's, and I just stepped outdoors for a moment with it, and could not read the screen. I'll try again with the brightness turned all the way up.

Quote: move to Seattle! Very funny LOL - but what happens when you go cross country to a place that has sunshine?

Steve.

Last edited:
Lot of folks using IPADS in the corporate world, The Feds ruling per Pro Pilot mag is that for Part 91 operations you must have at least 2 IPads to eliminate the need for paper. Atlanta FSDO also is requiring paper copies of the approach proceedures but I think that they have relax this.

When you figure the cost for US Jep coverage High and Low in the Q Service we use is $2200 dollars with JAID and REG.. We are going to
Look at installing 2 additional GPS antennas just for Our future IPADS.. the Jep subscription for IPAD is 700 and you get up to 4 computers. Just not sure what the availability of hooking up an external antenna to an IPAD. Since we have electric windows... they will not work inside the aircraft. nor will any portable GPS.

I know a lot of operators who fly Part 91 with non heated windows like Citations and they work fantastic on their own, even though they are only GPS assisted devices.

Smilin' Jack

Lot of folks using IPADS in the corporate world, The Feds ruling per Pro Pilot mag is that for Part 91 operations you must have at least 2 IPads to eliminate the need for paper. Atlanta FSDO also is requiring paper copies of the approach proceedures but I think that they have relax this.

Please double check this. My understanding is that the feds implied that 2 iPads were recommended for Part 121 or Part 135 operations. I could find no requirement for any backups for Part 91 operations.

This is a 2007 Advisory circular clearly stating the pilot in command has the authority to substitute an EFB for paper in Part 91 operations.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...c685650a0486257321006b3b8c/$FILE/AC 91_78.pdf

Hera is an advisory circular discusing what an EFB is and when it can be used from 2003
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...ac2e1f7b86256ced00786888/$FILE/AC 120-76A.pdf

an excerpt from the 2003 AC

a. Part 91 Operations.
This guidance material also applies to operators of large and turbinepowered
multi-engine aircraft operating under part 91, subpart F where the operating regulations require
specific functionality and/or equipage. Other part 91 operations do not require any specific authorization
for EFB operations provided the EFB does not replace any system or equipment required by the
regulations.

It appears in reviewing these 2 ACs that the only approval for use of an I pad would be for part 121 and part 135 operations and some part 91 "large and turbine powered aircraft"

Even though having some paper backup might be prudent, I doubt the Atlanta FSDO could violate someone with an i pad and current foreflight subscription for not having paper charts during part 91 IFR ops.

I use Ipad EFB but the screen is too bright at night
You'll need a sun screen from Target's baby department cut to fit
Otherwise it's blinding

Tad,

Go to your settings and dim the screen! Mine is wonderful at night. The auto adjust doesn't dim it enough but you can manually turn it down.
In regards to another post about not being able to read it in his 8, the Koger sun shade works great in my 6A. Don't they make one for an 8?

Ifly700 EFB

I use the iFly 700 for all my IFR and VFR chart/approach plate requirement. Easy and cheap and extremely useful.

The size, comprehensive data base (enroute charts, sectional charts, terminal area charts, approach plates, etc), economy, and ease of use in my RV4 made the Ifly 700 an ideal choice. A criticism is that it does not have an internal battery. I plug the unit into the cigarette lighter and have a very small 12volt, 7 amp battery from Radio Shack as a back-up. The battery goes an enormous amount of time between charges. The mount included with the Ifly700 is excellent and allowed me to place it so sunlight is not a factor. The company provides excellent customer support. In the past, long trips were difficult because of the number of charts and approach plates I needed to carry. Now I just download and go.

Allen
RV4 343AS