RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I know that a lot of pilots are using the iPad and Foreflight as an Electronic Flight Bag (EFB). I have been for a little less than a year and I am one of the last to adopt new technology.

How many have used only Forefight for all your flight planning? Is the 100LL fuel prices provided in Foreflight accurate enough to plan your fuel stops?

I am interested as keeping flying as safe as possible but not spending any more money than necessary. I lean aggressively, reduce power, and look for most favorable wind that will give me the lowest fuel burn for the trip.

Foreflight as 100LL prices that displays on the map if you turn it on.

In the past, I have used AirNav.com to plan stops where fuel was not excessively priced. When fuel was 5 or 10 cents delta between the highest and lowest price locations, it was only a few dollars difference between filling up at a high priced FBO and a low price FBO. Now with fuel prices that can be $1 delta or move between FBOs, the fill up delta can be $20 or $30. That is enough to make me want to stop at the lower price FBO.

I spent at least 8 man-hours last year researching fuel prices on AirNav for my round-trip to Oshkosh. Would like to put that time to better use this year and want to find out if the 100LL tool in Forefight could be used to same me planning time and money. I do not pay for a Data Plan so get all my Forefligt data updated by WiFi.

Please keep this thread related to using an EFB to make your trip safer and less expensive.

I don't use Foreflight for fuel prices.. I do not believe they are quite up-to-date. I don't mind going over airnav.com nor 100LL to find fuel prices.

Having said that, if you wanna spend a little more, Garmin Pilot uses airnav.com's data to show fuel prices.. so I'd tend to trust that better. It is slightly more than Foreflight ($99 vs $75)... At least there's choice and competition :)

How many have used only Forefight for all your flight planning?

It's my only EFB and flight planning tool. No, it's not for navigation purposes, I carry sectionals for every single region I fly :D

I also noticed that at some airports with no fuel info available anywhere there is 100LL and Mogas.