songbird

What experience do you have using the ipad as your efb. How much storage? How do the various apps perform? How do the add-on gps units work? I plan on flying VFR and IFR flights.

Hi Rick

...I'm using a 32 gig iPad without GPS and have sectionals, low altitude charts and approaches, using less than 5 gigs! I also have two books, a diet program and Google Maps and the Weather channel, so to me, 16 gig would be plenty. Since I have a 430W and a 496, I didn't need a third moving map.

I fly an RV-10 so I have shade built in and no visibility problems and I'm automatically reminded by my SkychartsPro app, when my approaches and charts expire. You are then prompted to update them now or later. I'm in love with it! BTW, I also have the Augusta, (Ga.) Chronicle newspaper app that's free, saving $300/year over buying the daily paper at a stand:)

The SkychartsPro app has red circles in the restricted airspace and MOA areas, that you touch to see altitude and days of operation information....all this for 20 bucks a year!

Best,

Foreflight

I'm running ForeFlight on iPad 3G (so it has built in gps). I'm flying VFR and this is my only gps at the moment.

Fore flight excels at flight planning but I have two "dislikes" with it for in-flight use:
  1. Does not have "touch for more info" on MOA's, etc (and does not show graphical TFRs)
  2. Sectionals are hard to use because colors all blend together - really needs high contrast outlines for airspace, MOA's etc

If you contact ForeFlight, they say they are looking into these things but they seem to use that "blanket answer" a lot.

ForeFlight has lots of flight planning features which I do like:
  • Fuel price map view
  • Rubber band flight path
  • Flight plan filing
  • Automatic calculations with winds aloft data
  • Etc

You can play with ForeFlight for 30 days free then it's $75/yr

Do a search on "ipad" here on the forums and you will find a year's worth of posts on the topic....

Android

Any Android EFB programs out there yet? I'm not a huge Apple fan so not interested in the iPad. Can anyone answer if you can use one of the Android based tablets as a GPS similar to the way the iPad can use an external unit?

I use ipad for IFR

I have 2ipads I use. Bought an ipad 2 and use it in a C-425 and c-550. Have a backup ipad 1 I bought on the forums. Both have foreflight and I love it. Did away with Jeppesen charts and saved about $1700/ year for just one plane. We are using the pro version on both for georeferencing. I did look @ wing x pro at SNF but the only thing it offers right now is weather and we have on board radar as well as xm weather in both planes. By the time my RVis flying I am sure foreflight will have that as well.