loopfuzz

Well Known Member
Just thought I would share some details on a electronic flap controller I created for my RV project. I wanted something that was simple to use but could still do some extra bells and whistles if I wanted it to. I'm currently using the infinity flight grip with the small flap switch they provide. I added a video to give a little idea of how it works.. here is a description of some of the features.

- Auto shuts off flap motor after flaps are fully retracted. (user settable) So this saves your flap motor from running while in the up postion. It does this by knowing how long it takes your flap motor to run to the full flap position.

- Allows you use a small stick mounted flap switch like the "Flap Control Circuit Board" sold at Vans for $40. But this controller also does alot more.

- Pilot and co-pilot both get their own flap switches. and the flap controller figures out any conflicts. So it works good on the tandem seat RVs.

- I designed it to work with the Vans flap motor but could work with any flap motor.

- Only cost me around $80 for me to put it all together.

Some extra features I added are:

- Auto deploy flaps to half by clicking the flaps down switch 2 times quickly.

- If at half flaps already, click twice again, and it goes to full flaps.

- OR instead, if you wanted full flaps down instead of half flaps, just click 3 times.

- during the auto deploy of flaps, if you hit any button, it will cancel the auto flaps

- There is a setup mode for flap controller so you can customize everthing like time to run flap motor for half and full flaps. And how you want the conflict resolution with the co-pilot switch to work.

- Added extra relay for external device control when flaps are in down postion. Currently I use this for my extra landing light. You can configure this option in setup mode to set this light in flasher mode, so it's kind of a wig-wag type light.

Let me know if anyone is interested in something like this.
Here is a link to the video of it working in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2L0EPofPeI

Last edited:
Just thought I would share some details on a electronic flap controller I created for my RV project. I wanted something that was simple to use but could still do some extra bells and whistles if I wanted it to.

Very cool. I've been thinking through this lately and would respectfully suggest a couple of features at the risk of "feature creep."

The flap and trim circuits should ideally be powered through a circuit with an easily accessible kill switch. This applies IMHO to anything electronic (like an autopilot) that could surprise or hurt you by moving a control surface.

I'm assuming you're using a microcontroller to run this. If you have an extra analog input, you could "T" a pressure sensor into the pitot line and use the input to prevent flap deployment above Vfe, or even an automatic slow retraction if significantly above Vfe (as if you forget to raise flaps after a balked landing).

I've been tossing this (and trim solutions) around in my head as I recently bought an Arduino board that my 10-year old son and I have been playing with purely for fun.

I suspect that's there's enough expertise floating around this board to hash out a very safe, useful feature set, and to suggest reasonable solutions as well.

I really like the ease of use in your system. I am highly interested in getting more information on you system. Right now, all I am using is a large Up/Down Honeywell rocker switch.

--
Michael Crowder

more ideas

The flap and trim circuits should ideally be powered through a circuit with an easily accessible kill switch.
Yah thought about this. I think my my final installation it will include some sort of override/kill switch. This could be wired into the controller in a couple different ways.

If you have an extra analog input, you could "T" a pressure sensor into the pitot line and use the input to prevent flap deployment above Vfe,
Yah this would be another cool option that could be easily wired into the controller. I personally didn't want one on mine. But I found the a pressure switches at air spruce. here is a link to one http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/mpl.php

I've been tossing this (and trim solutions) around in my head as I recently bought an Arduino board
I think I'll be working on a trim solution next. Probably integrate a small lcd into it. The Arduino boards are nice too. The ATmegaXX processors are getting pretty fast.

flap switch

I really like the ease of use in your system. I am highly interested in getting more information on you system. Right now, all I am using is a large Up/Down Honeywell rocker switch.

yah Michael, I know the switch your talking about ( i bet alot of us know that switch :) ). With a controller board you can really use any type of switch you want because it's just telling the controller to switch the relays that deal with the higher amp motor lines. Air spruce sells the micro switches (part # 11-00221) used on the infinity grip, that you could just attach to your panel if you wanted.

Hey, this is where the Vertical Power VP-200 started, and one thing led to another and... well, you know the rest. Just kidding. :D

Just remember to size your circuits for a flap load of just under 5A.

Great idea

I have had nothing but trouble with the plane power system which uses micro switches to determine where the flaps are.

The timer idea is a much better way..I mean I have ripped out the rocker switch system and now I count 4 seconds for half and 8 for full.

Having a timer system that does the same and remembers to shut the motor off is a great idea.

Frank

timing the flaps and volts and amps.

The timer idea is a much better way..I mean I have ripped out the rocker switch system and now I count 4 seconds for half and 8 for full.

Having a timer system that does the same and remembers to shut the motor off is a great idea.

4 seconds for half flaps seems like a long time. Are you using the vans flap motor? Let me know if you would like me to build you one. Wouldn't be a problem.

Just remember to size your circuits for a flap load of just under 5A
Currently it's designed to handle 30 amps at 12 volts. Wanted to be on the extra safe side.

I'm interested, but only 1/2 way through my tail kit. so it would be a while before i Needed One, but always good to plan ahead, right?

Add to the list

Please add me to the list of those interested. I have the infinity stick and their small board relay for the trim and flap. Thanks. Dave

Who else is interested in a flap controller?

Cool, looks like there are several people interested in this flap controller. I'm figuring out the expenses on what I can make these things for. But it looks like $90+shipping for a pre-built flap controller is good.

Anyone interested in one can send me a PM for my address or paypal account info. $90 + $5 (I think shipping will be $5 for shipping via USPS in the US.?... its pretty light and small.)

Turn around time should be around 2 weeks I'm guessing.

I'm still adding more setup options to it as we speak. Like a RS-232 I/O (for advanced setup via a computer and a possible future LCD module) and adding a output pin for hooking into existing EFIS/EMS units to let the EFIS units know where the flap position is. And a option to hook in a air pressure switch so the flaps can not be retracted until airspeed under Vfe. These features won't require any more electronic components (except the air pressure switch), cause I'm doing all the logic in software that is programmed into the micro-controller.

I'm working on a wiring diagram and setup instructions too.

If anyone has some other ideas on uses and/or ways to interface this into your RV, let me know.

Chris.

Last edited:
liability

I see the next Grand Rapids, Dynon in the making. :D Nothing wrong with that. Just remember liability, CYB. :cool:

Dave

Even though I have thought about trying to make a EFIS, it would take to long and probably cost the same or more then what dynon has to offer. It would be a fun project at some point.

Creating this flap controller makes since from a price and functionality standpoint. Thats why I made it. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that kind of thinking.

As for liability, not sure what I'm liable for. It's experimental and for fun. Do I need to put a warning or liability notice on the device?

Chris.

Chris,

I'm interested in one.

With regard to the liability, if you're worried about it you might sell these as "components" that require "some assembly" which might get you further from the legal eagles. Maybe someone on the forum that's a lawyer could give better advice.

greg

Payment Methods

Chris,

I'd look at additional payment options. Something like PayPal, etc. Even if you have to charge more to cover the overheard, the convenience would be worth it to some of us.

--
Michael

using paypal.

I'd look at additional payment options. Something like PayPal.

Yah, I guess I can also take paypal. though they take some money for the transaction. Send me a email and I will let you know my email address that you can paypal me at.

Chris.

orders.

I guess I misunderstood......are you ready for orders now?

Yah, just expect around a 2 week turn around time. I'm just building these things in my free time. If you want to use paypal send me a PM or email and I can give you my email address for sending paypal payments.

Christopher.

I am interested, but was wondering if the 6 flaps are different then the eight? When you are explaining it in the video, it looks like you are saying the flaps are going down when mine would be going up? Is it as simple as switching the flap motor wires?

Thanks, Lance

for the RV-8

wondering if the 6 flaps are different then the eight? When you are explaining it in the video, it looks like you are saying the flaps are going down when mine would be going up? Is it as simple as switching the flap motor wires?
Thanks, Lance

Lance, Yes you are correct you can just reverse the leads going to the flap motor and it would work. I didn't know the flap motor works in opposite for the 8.

Chris.

PM Sent.

--
Michael

Yah, just expect around a 2 week turn around time. I'm just building these things in my free time. If you want to use paypal send me a PM or email and I can give you my email address for sending paypal payments.

Christopher.

First Flight With Flap Controller

Last weekend I had my first flight since installing the Flap Controller!

To install the controller, I bought a new ON-OFF-Mom switch that dropped into the same hole as the previous Mom-OFF-Mom switch. It was really easy to wire up, but working under the panel was a pain. After programming the correct flap extension times, away I went. All I can say is that I am REALLY REALLY happy! :eek: :D :p No more counting, no more looking at the flaps to make sure they stopped at the right point. A real big THANK YOU!

--
Michael Crowder

Flap Controller

I am interested in this Flap Controller and would like to get the plans. I am building an RV-6A and I currently doing the instrumentment panel and lights wiring. This would be a great time to add this flap controller. I plan to use the switches on the Ray Allen Stick Grip.