flyboy1963

Well Known Member
HI all,
looking for advice on how to do a bullet-proof crank trigger installation. ( old style, behind flywheel)
I do NOT want to be pulling the prop to trouble-shoot a finicky wire or pickup.
Mike at Electroair has been VERY helpful, but need someone to look over my shoulder while installing.
anyone had issues with running the wire from the pickup to the firewall? wondering if it needs to be in a more heat resistant sleeve?

thanks to any and all Electro drivers for any words of wisdom.

The standard tefzel wire...

....anyone had issues with running the wire from the pickup to the firewall? wondering if it needs to be in a more heat resistant sleeve?

thanks to any and all Electro drivers for any words of wisdom.

...MIL-W-22579/16 is good to 302 degrees F.

That should be OK against the case, but if you want added protection, a fiberglass sleeve can be added over the bundle and is good to 1200 F

http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M37/20410K/FIBERGLASS SLEEVING 1/4" 50'/

This sleeve would also be good over your EGT leads...:)

Using heavier gauge wire (say 18 g) will help the bundle be physically stronger.

wiring

Gil,
good advice as usual.....looks a lot like the insulation on the wires in my oven!
Many of the electronic setups have wire leads coils & everything above the case in the plenum, I wonder if this would be cooler than below the case, in the hot air ?
My coils are going on the firewall so they are in a moderate temp area I'd say.

I designed a new trigger wheel in Solidworks to go on the crank, and am using a different VR sensor that is threaded into a block I have yet to machine. Its a GM vehicle speed sensor. I had the trigger wheel lasered and turned the crank clamping ring on my lathe, but have not yet worked on the block or the VR sensor. The purpose of this setup is to be able to change the sensor without having to pull the prop or flywheel.

The plemun area...

Gil,
good advice as usual.....looks a lot like the insulation on the wires in my oven!
Many of the electronic setups have wire leads coils & everything above the case in the plenum, I wonder if this would be cooler than below the case, in the hot air ?
My coils are going on the firewall so they are in a moderate temp area I'd say.

...is cooler, but your cylinders can easily reach the high 300's (and more...:)...) and if you shut down, some heat soaking can occur - especially in AZ in the summer...:eek:

The fiberglass sleeve stuff is only 50 cents a foot, and weighs nothing, so it's really cheap insurance...

And yes, it probably is the same stuff that is inside your oven.