rdayton1

What is the Life of the eltronic board? I started out back in 2003 with 2 Electroair set ups. One board failed at about 25 hrs. I replaced that one and then ran both of them almost 800 hrs. with little or no concerns. since then I have burned 2 units within 10 hrs of each other. I am running 2 old units now and they seem OK. My question is what is the life of these boards? I am thinking of going to somthing else and want to stay with the Electric as I have a new ECi engine with the 14 MM plugs and fuel injection. It is a 360 and 185 HP. Any one out there that has run the Elctroairs a 1000 to 1500 hrs? These are the maroon metalic ones. Dick Dayton 2003 RV6 203DR Email [email protected]

I believe RocketBob has more than 1000 hours on the older gold board (Jeff Rose) ElectroAir EI. I am sure he will chime in, he has helped me a few times.

Dan

Last edited:
Mine (gold unit, circa 2000), died at this time last year at about 800 hours.

There are identical units in other aircraft at my field which are of similar or older vintage and are going strong.

~2000 hours.
Purple unit.

Started with Gold but decided to "upgrade" to the Purple.

Only problem was cracked tubing to MP sensor.

James

I just bought a pair of gently used 4-cyl units for $300. I have enough spares to last a lifetime. I haven't had any issues with the gold units which are the analog TTL units. The purple units are microprocessor-based. When Paul Lipps was still with us I asked him why he didn't use microprocessors in the Lightspeed ignition he designed. His response was reliability.

Three Grand....

What is the Life of the eltronic board? I started out back in 2003 with 2 Electroair set ups. One board failed at about 25 hrs. I replaced that one and then ran both of them almost 800 hrs. with little or no concerns. since then I have burned 2 units within 10 hrs of each other. I am running 2 old units now and they seem OK. My question is what is the life of these boards? I am thinking of going to somthing else and want to stay with the Electric as I have a new ECi engine with the 14 MM plugs and fuel injection. It is a 360 and 185 HP. Any one out there that has run the Elctroairs a 1000 to 1500 hrs? These are the maroon metalic ones. Dick Dayton 2003 RV6 203DR Email [email protected]

Dick,
I bought one of Jeff Roses first TTL systems for my RV4 back in 95". I put 1500 hours on it. The new owner has taken it over 2000 hours. I rebuilt a HR2 and put another 1000 on one of Jeff's first IO540 systems. My current early Electroair TTL system in my RVX has 400 hours on it. Longevity? Never had a problem but before Jeff sold his company to Electroair he gave me a few tips.

1. Run a cooling air blast tube to the coils and board.
2. I use Autolite 386 18MM plugs and Accel Plug wires.
3. Mount the board with a rubber shock pad (mouse pad works well)underneath it in a cool area if possible. Heat and Vibration are the main causes of board failure.

Highly recommended...
V/R
Smokey

Last edited: