RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am considering the Sport Air Workshop on electrical systems. I would like to hear some critics from those that have attended the workshop in the past. I am trying to find out if it is worth the cost, it will not be local so I will have hotel and meal expenses on top of the course.

I have done extensive wiring in my home, not just simple switch replacements but full room remodels. But what I do not have experience with is circuit boards and soldering connections etc. This is why I thought this course might be worthwhile. I do have Bob Nuckolls book and I have read through it once but need to again to retain more information. I read it the first time early on in my project. Thank you for any help, I am not looking to start an ad for EAA, I want honest opinions good and bad.

Cheers

I am considering the Sport Air Workshop on electrical systems. I would like to hear some critics from those that have attended the workshop in the past. I am trying to find out if it is worth the cost, it will not be local so I will have hotel and meal expenses on top of the course.

I have done extensive wiring in my home, not just simple switch replacements but full room remodels. But what I do not have experience with is circuit boards and soldering connections etc. This is why I thought this course might be worthwhile. I do have Bob Nuckolls book and I have read through it once but need to again to retain more information. I read it the first time early on in my project. Thank you for any help, I am not looking to start an ad for EAA, I want honest opinions good and bad.

Cheers

Any course you can attend is good, but unless you are planning a monster panel, I don't think the electrical portion of the project is a big deal. I suggest getting an experienced builder, Technical Counselor, or A&P to visit you and help you get off on the right foot. After that, it is just a matter of pull, cut, strip, crimp, solder and connect. ;-)

SportAir workshop

I attended the electrical workshop in Watsonville, and would definitely do it again. Kas teaches a great class, with enough theory to keep you out of trouble, but enough hands-on to keep you interested and confident. We made a light dimmer circuit and wired up a headset/intercom harness. He also has a website where you can download actual how-to videos for many common electrical tasks.

I highly recommend this workshop. It's worth the trip.

Mike
I have quite a bit of experience with aircraft and still felt the course was worth while as a validation of what I thought I knew and as a confidence builder. That said it was local for me so the cost was fairly minimal. If you have read Bob's book and researched the net for info (Heli-Chair.com has some great training videos that are free) then it probably isn't necessary. I would spend that money on some good electrical tools (multimeter, proper strippers, crimpers and soldering iron). If you are going to Sun-N-Fun or Air Venture check out the forum tents, you will get most of the same info in an abbreviated form
Sully

Arlington

Mike, I'm planning to take the electrical class this fall at Arlington, WA. It's not scheduled yet, but EAA tells me there will be on this fall. That might be local enough for you to drive or fly in daily.

Arlington workshop

Steve,

That sounds perfect I am planning on attending Arlington show anyways. I just did not see the electrical workshop planned. I am planning on camping at the show, I did that a couple of years ago and had a good time, especially with the blender makiing ritas with the power point on the tail gate of the truck.

Cheers

In the fall not during Flyin

Mike, they tell me the Electrical class will be conducted in the fall, not during the Arlington Fly-In. Last year I think it was Sept or Oct. But still Arlington is close. Have Fun.

Fellow builders. EAA Chapter 1410 is hosting three EAA SportAir workshops May 2 and 3. These are 2 day courses licensed by EAA and they are being held at the High River Airport in Alberta, home of EAA Chapter 1410. High River is less than 1 hour RV flying time north of the Montana/Alberta border and only 50 km South of Calgary. The courses are Wiring and Avionics, Sheet Metal, and Annual Inspections.

http://www.eaahighriver.org/sportair.htm

We?ve had builders from all over Canada attend these workshops but we?ve never had one of our friends from south of the border. Based on today?s exchange rate, it?s barely more than $200 US for each course. Quite a bargain! We?d love to have some American builders join us. I might add; there are plenty of things for spouses to see and do around Calgary. In fact, it?s a great excuse to visit for longer and play tourist.

Jeff