Brambo

Well Known Member
I'm deep in the middle of wiring and was wondering if anyone has a good example of how to tie down the wires going through the center tunnel so that they stay clear of the push rod. Pictures would be great.

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

Radio Shack

I used those white peel-and-stick pads from Radio Shack. They're about 3/4" square and you loop a wire tie through the eyelets. A 10 pak costs about $3.00 Remove any primer/paint from the area. They stick well so be sure about location. Put a row of 3-4 along the center floor ribs. Good to go.

Steve

Long term...

I used those white peel-and-stick pads from Radio Shack. They're about 3/4" square and you loop a wire tie through the eyelets. A 10 pak costs about $3.00 Remove any primer/paint from the area. They stick well so be sure about location. Put a row of 3-4 along the center floor ribs. Good to go.

Steve

Steve, long term, the stick-um on the foam has been known to let go... especially if you live on a hot part of the country.

If you can, the use of a pop rivet through the hole in the center of the plastic will give you a much better long term solution....

In the location in question, an angle drill should be able to do this....

gil A

Steve, long term, the stick-um on the foam has been known to let go... especially if you live on a hot part of the country.

If you can, the use of a pop rivet through the hole in the center of the plastic will give you a much better long term solution....

In the location in question, an angle drill should be able to do this....

gil A
I agree with Gil. Only in place of a rivet, I used Goop's RV Adhesive to hold them in place after removing the stick-um and foam adhesive pad. Yep, they make stuff just for our planes. ;)

I'm not a fan of their web site but here it is: http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html

Last edited:
Wire routing is covered in AC 43-13. I recently wired the tunnel of a 10 and secured the wires with adel clamps as follows:

1. #8 c'sunk screw, head on the cabin side
2. dimpled the tunnel
3. made a c'sunk washer out of .063 plate, cut into a circle, drilled #19 and c'sunk
4. Adel clamp
5. Nut and Washer

The installation sequence is screw, tunnel, c'sunk washer, adel clamp, washer, nut. If the wires look like they may chaff on the tunnel side, the adel clamp can be spaced out with a longer screw and short piece of aluminum tubing, additional washers or .063 spacers.

The self adhesive wire tie mounts have a tendence to fail. The last thing I'd want is wires swinging freely around primary flight controls and / or chaffing in an environment where fuel vapor may be present.

If your question is not related to the ten, the above would also work as long as you install platenuts on the ribs prior to installing the seat /baggage floors. The installation would then be round head screw, adel clamp, rib and finally platenut. Another option, if the platenut is not possible is to use plastic wire clamps. They are similar to an adel clamp, only smaller. These can be secured with a blind rivet.

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/ccn.cfm

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good ideas. I have some of the plastic stck-on things but was warry of using them here in Las Vegas (very hot). The rivet idea sounds like a good way to make sure they stay put. The small nylon ties with a rivet also sounds doable.

Thanks all,

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

Rivet them?

Hello,

I am at that stage to! I already got some of the plastic-stick-on thingies with my last order from Steinair, especially for that location! It is usually not that hot where I Live, but I plan to fly south, where it will be 30-40?C. So I guess, after reading your posts about the ?darn things? coming off when it gets hot, I could just rivet them to the fuselage floor instead of the "sticky-back-tape"? Has anybody done that?

Regards, PilotTonny

I had sticky tie strap mounts fall off after a month in the garage. Removed the tape, used E6000 goop and those suckers are as good as riveted on. I rough up both surfaces with 80 grit before adding the goop.

Jekyll

Space Quality.....

I recently had a refresher course in on-orbit maintenance for the International Space Station, and we now have Click-Bonds in the tool kit to hold repair patches to the outer skin (if we ever need them!). It was emphasized that you better get them in the right spot the first time, cause you're never going to gt them, off.....

A bit too expensive for my RV, but pretty neat adhesive technology!

Paul

The nylon cable clamps mentioned by Scott in post #5 are obtainable from any well-stocked local hardware store. They're in the " small parts drawer stock". Cheap and readily available. :)