RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Not sure this should go under tools or electrical but here goes. I am not close to the wire dog stage but I want to hook up a radio on the bench and I need a "molex" crimper (ICOM 210). I started doing some Google searches and have become somewhat confused. There are lots of companies that provide "RV tool kits". My question for VAF is, where can I find an RV or homebuilt specific electrical tool kit. I have seen what I think is one on Stein's site, but want to know if there are other electrical kits available. I have done many DIY projects and I know the value of having the right tools.
Thanks for any help.

I should get to my QB wings soon and will start the wire running there so getting some tools together now seems to make sense.

I need to know what type of wire sizes I will need and connector types.

Cheers

Any good tool kit won't be specific to any particular brand of aircraft. I asked lots of questions at Aerotronics when I visited to see the progress on my panel. Shortly after I returned home, I visited Fry's Electronics (you can also order from them on the web) and put together a complete tool kit. It included a good soldering station, flush cut pliers, coax crimper, coax stripper, automatic wire stripper, d-sub pin crimper, molex pin crimper, pin insertion/removal tools, wire picks (essential for combing out shielding), and a good multi-meter. I also bought a lot of heat-shrink tubing in a variety of colors. I found a nice plastic toolbox with removable lidded trays that I use for parts. The only thing I have had to farm out (aside from the panel build itself) is a custom Cat5E cable; the tools for that are ridiculous for a one-time use (cable from EFIS-One to Autopilot head). Hope that helps you decide what to get.

wire sizes

the sizes are awg 22,20,18,16,14, for most stuff so far. some 8 and 2 as well but not nearly as much.maybe 20 feet would do. i got vans harness but would not again. the smaller stuff i got in addition to the harness at 50 ft lengths, some i may not use and others may require more. really depends on your set up.
if you got vans harness you shouldnt need any #8 or #2. if you want swithces and breakers get the ring and or blade terminals red and blue.
ring terminals should be for # 6 screws. ive got a bunch of # 8 terminals that i'll never use. but you made need 10 or so of each (maybe) i really got beat up here and will have a collection when im done but i use stuff like this all the time...DO NOT USE CHEAP TERMINALS LIKE HARBOR FREIGHT. they pull out buy hand the barrel wall thickness is about 1/2 of the good ones
I bought mine from stein and B&C. i bought some GB from lowes and tested them to 40lbs held fine. ( no i didnt use them.....yet)the lowes brand had heat shrink made to them...they were as much or more than the aircraft guys.
the terminals from steins and B&C look alot more robust however.
most everything you need is at steins http://www.steinair.com/tools.htm
my favorite tool from him is the red and white pin removal tool. and just as his add says the other cheap brands are not very useful

Last edited:
Mike, You won't go wrong with the master kit from Steinair as a good start. I might delete the grommets from the kit as you will only need a few and there are an awful lot of grommets in the kit. If you go fuse blocks you will want to add more of the 1/4 female spade terminals. This will get you a good start on everything (assuming you are going to use fuse blocks and not CBs. You really need to sit down with the Aeroelectric connection book and decide what your electrical system will be. I used the Z13/8 but deleted the 8 amp aux alternator. Then you need to lay out on paper a plan view of the fuse and wings and decide approx (or better yet install the mounting brackets at least) where all the main items will be located. This way you can plan wire routing around specific items and know where to drill holes for snap bushings and grommets, Try to keep power wires and control wires separated on opp. sides of fuse and in different bushings or tubing in the wings where possible. Then you can start to label the wires on this plan if you wish, I did so and am glad i did. I kept power wires away from my fuel lines, valve as much as possible. Its kind of fun to sit and think of all the possibilities. But you will need to know what you plan to install in the plane, you can go to websites and downlaod the wire diagrams for most efis/ems/autopilots if you plan to go that route. Tony

Thanks for the inputs, I guess I will Have to do more planning. My first thought is ti design my panel for VFR, glass but with the plan to upgrade to a IFR glass in the future. I am not sure what I will be able to afford, hopefully in a year or so I will be outfitting the panel. I will fill it with whatever toys I can when the time comes. Most of the money for the engine and prop is in the bank, saving loose change for the panel. I have the Aeroelectric book, I still need to read it over more closely.

Cheers