Brambo

Well Known Member
Van's instructions for putting a fiberglass fairing on the forward windscreen involve layers of "electrical tape". The only electrical tape that I have ever been expossed to has been the black streachy stuff used for home wiring repair.

It doesn't seem like that is the kind of tape he's talking about here. Is there another type of electrical tape, and if so, where do I get some?

That is exactly what he is talking about. Get the "good stuff", and it works great.

That is exactly what he is talking about. Get the "good stuff", and it works great.
Scott is right. The black tape can curve around the plexi, allowing you get a good clean edge for the fiberglass.

One suggestion, start about three to four inches above where you want the final line to be. Then lay consecutive layers of tape down until your last pieces is where you want your final line.

If you do this you will be able to replace that last piece or two of tape when they get damaged by the sanding you will have to do.

Also, I did all my layups at one time, per the hint in the instructions. This worked out very well.

The alternates are 3M specialty masking tapes. See your local body shop supply house.

Fine Line 218 - Sorta beige-gray in color, poly plastic, available in widths down to 1/16", flexible, more or less the industry standard for masking a color break line.

Scotch Plastic Tape 471 - Blue in color, more flexible than 218, widths as low as 1/8". Great stuff, bends around small radius curves, no paint bleed.

The advantage to either one is adhesive that won't surface transfer, as well as being solvent resistant. And they won't turn loose, curl, or spring back.

I used 3/4" wide 471 for that fiberglass/plexiglass transition edge, but nothing wrong with electrical tape for simple sanding protection. You will want
to remask with the good stuff when you start spraying primers and paint.

Tip; you can stack several layers of 471 along the plexiglass transition edge to define the thickness of your fiberglass or filler edge. You get about .005" per layer. Sand the fiberglass glass edge flush with the tape
surface for even thickness all along the edge.

BTW, the good crepe masking tape is 233+, bright green in color. Lay down 218 or 471 to define the finish edge, lap 233+ partially over it to continue your masking. Don't use blue 2090 with solvent based paint.

Don't forget some type of release agent

If you build a slider, be darn sure you put some type of release agent on top of the tape so you can get the halves apart. I felt sure the tape would easily release but NO NO NO, it took me 3 hours to get it loose. It stuck on the tape just enough to make me think it wasn't going to break loose. Needless to say I was pissed and fearful I was going to break the plexiglass.

Ask others what they used.

If you build a slider, be darn sure you put some type of release agent on top of the tape so you can get the halves apart. I felt sure the tape would easily release but NO NO NO, it took me 3 hours to get it loose. It stuck on the tape just enough to make me think it wasn't going to break loose. Needless to say I was pissed and fearful I was going to break the plexiglass.

Just in case you----or someone else gets into this situation again-----try this trick.

Get a small part of the layup loose, and then squirt air from your blow gun under the layup. You dont have to use a lot of pressure, just direct the stream fairly flat to the surface, and things will usually come right up.

Works well for getting parts out of a mold too.

Wear safety glasses/goggles, by the way.

YMMV, but it sure works for me.

I'll get a picture of a roll of it later tonight and edit it into this post. For now I can tell you there is some nice stretchy stuff you can get at home depot that is basically electrical tape but it's two inches wide and works great for masking off the canopy. Comes in different Mil thickness and you can feather out to it and leave a nice paintable edge behind.

rubbertape.jpg

It's a pipe and conduit wrap made of rubber.

Last edited:

Really? Man good thing you said that cause I was thinking reading this thread that electrical tape would be a great surface to lay against for release. I would have been wrong. :(

Really? Man good thing you said that cause I was thinking reading this thread that electrical tape would be a great surface to lay against for release. I would have been wrong. :(

Tape would have been good if I would have put a coat of car wax on it. It doesn't stick that badly but when you have about 4 feet of it, it's just enough to try your patience. Best thing I've found so far is plastic wrap (ie: Saran Wrap). I used it to clean up the cowl edges when I laid some extra glass down to pretty up the edges.

Live and Learn!!

Hey - any chance you might be in Mississippi some time. Gonna be test time soon!!!!

<<Why doesn't anyone use PVA and mold wax?>>

I suspect it would be required if working with an honest-to-gosh female mold, in particular if it didn't have much draft angle and you wanted to use it again.

For a one-shot moldless composite part (layups on the outside of a form), ordinary slick packing tape, a little turtle wax, and (like Mike said) some compressed air has always got it done.

<<How long did it take you? I've always been curious about whether it's best to do a few layups...let dry...come back later...do a few more... etc. >>

Bob, you can do a few layups, allow cure (or partial cure to a knife trim stage), then do more. However, generally you would only do so when the part required it; perhaps a flox core in a trailing edge or uni roving inside BD skins. If you stop in the middle of a part to allow cure, use peel ply so you don't need to halt two days for full cure and then sand, sand, sand before subsequent bonding.

However, it is usually best to plan your time and do the entire layup at once.

For a strip layup like canopy fairings, consider wetting out fabric between two clear plastic sheets. Use slow hardener for working time. Lay down a plastic sheet, neatly stack as many as 4 plies of dry fabric, pour on a batch of mixed resin, and stack on another plastic sheet. Work the resin through all the cloth with a squeegee, or better yet, a grooved roller, pushing excess resin off to the sides along with the air bubbles. When you have it all properly saturated (and consolidated, no excess resin please), use a felt tip pin to draw the exact shape of the desired layup on the top plastic sheet, then cut through all the layers of plastic and glass with a "pizza cutter" rotary knife. Peel the plastic off one side; pull it 180 degrees back on itself so as to not disturb the wet fabric. Now position the layup exactly where you want it, complete with plastic on one side. Stipple it down with a dry brush, then carefully peel off the top plastic. It might need a little more stippling with a wet brush to remove any remaining air bubbles. I would add peel ply at this point (wet it out with more resin); you're gonna be adding surfacing filler later and again, the peel ply eliminates the need for a lot of pre-bond sanding.

Two nice things about the method. First, it is neat and tidy. Until you cut through the wetted glass and plastic, you didn't even come in contact with wet resin. Second, you can run the pizza cutter along a steel straightedge, which means your layup has a neat edge, and is full thickness along that edge. The neat edge can be positioned with accuracy along the tape line on your plexiglass.

Don't try the above with high-viscosity epoxy or in a cold shop. High viscosity makes it hard to peel the plastic without disturbing the layups. Works fine with West.

I've attached a photo borrowed from the Showplanes manual; nice illustration of positioning a wet strip layup.

Hope this helps.