rkochcyxh

Anybody know of a good book or place to find out about wiring my RV9A. I thought I would do some homework on it now. Thanks , in advance. Emp should be finished this weekend. QB wings and fuselage waiting in my hanger.
Russel Koch

Anybody know of a good book or place to find out about wiring my RV9A. I thought I would do some homework on it now.

The source of electrical knowledge for no doubt hundreds of RV builders is the AeroElectric Connection:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Catalog/pub/pub.html

Your plan to begin studying the electrical architecture of your plane now is a good one. It will most likely be helpful to read 'Lectric Bob's book at least a couple of times so the principles can soak in. :)

Bob Nucholls has devoted many years to the art and science of experimental aircraft electrical systems. Check his website: http://www.aeroelectric.com

Bob sells a very good book about experimental aircraft electrical systems: "The Aero Electric Connection". This book is available on his site.

Finally, Bob hosts an electronic forum, "AeroElectric-List", at: http://forums.matronics.com

There is also lots of GREAT stuff in the FAA circular AC43.13-1B.

The above are good starting places.

Jekyll

Just ask

Ditto on above, try Google on the topic of wiring. Also right HERE is a good start. If you have any question, just ask, especially if it is spacific. :D There are many folks on the forum that are very savvy with electical topics. Don't forget to use the search function. It is fun and easy, but it is one little wire or circuit at a time. Get good quality supplies and tools as well. There is more than one way to do things, but as usual think KISS, keep it simple and light.

You can make the Boeing 747 of electical systems, or you can make one that works. You have to decide if you will you fly night IFR? If your engine or instruments are totally dependant electricity or are VFR with basic instruments, will determine the design. 90% of the builders do fine with one battery and one alternators. Some with extensive "Glass" opt for an extra battery to give extra reserve battery power, for example.

Also check the links on Van's web site for builder sites. Look at them all regardless of model. Some have done fantastic wiring, well planned, routed, supported and protected. Others are a little more rats nest (sorry no names). The bottom line is looking at good wiring will bring you game up. I know it has brought my quality up.

ditto what George said

George (gmcjetpilot) is right on!! Read a lot of different sources about electrical installations. I got a lot of great ideas from Bob's Aeroelectrical book but do not agree with everything he suggests like externally regulated alternators. Plus my plan to put the battery up front right by the engine, as Bob suggests, changed after I read some forum comments on CG problems (nose heavy) with the RV-8. So now I am going with an aft mounted battery and have to change my electrical plan a little bit. If you begin thinking and planning now then when you get to that phase of your building you will be less likely to have to correct mistakes.