trib

Well Known Member
I'm trying to put together all the components for the electrical system (wiring, connectors, fuse blocks, switches, etc.) and was wondering if anyone had generated a spreadsheet of components to order. I'm doing the same and it would be helpful to have something to check against to minimize the parts I miss on the initial order. The system I'm using is based on the Aeroelectric Z-11 configuration. If you have one that I could use, I would appreciate it if you could email this to me at [email protected]. Being a rivet-banger at heart, I'm not sure which I dread more, the electrical system or fiberglass!

thanks for the help :)

One wire at a time

trib said:
I'm trying to put together all the components for the electrical system (wiring, connectors, fuse blocks, switches, etc.) and was wondering if anyone had generated a spreadsheet of components to order. I'm doing the same and it would be helpful to have something to check against to minimize the parts I miss on the initial order. The system I'm using is based on the Aeroelectric Z-11 configuration. If you have one that I could use, I would appreciate it if you could email this to me at [email protected]. Being a rivet-banger at heart, I'm not sure which I dread more, the electrical system or fiberglass!

thanks for the help :)
I hear you buddy but mark my words, you will get through it, learn a lot, end up enjoying it (or tolerating it) and in the end, wounder why you where ever worried. :D The key is to break it down to one wire and one circuit at a time.

Instead of giving you a big shopping list, I suggest you contact SteinAir (They have a link on the left side of this page.) If you write Stein, they can give you the bare necessities, like how many feet of 20 gauge wire, connectors, to relays and fuse/CB's you will likely need. They sell a "master kit". Stein can get you started.

http://www.steinair.com/masterkit.htm

Their master kit looks compatible with the Z-11, but call or write them. Don't forget good quality electrical tools, crimper and so on. Don't get cheap tools. Steinair has tools as well.

Custom heavy gauge wire from battery to starter with large connectors may need to be measured before you order them at a later date. Its almost impossible to order everything at once. Van has an electrical kit pre-wired harness, but I would not recommend it if you are going Z-11, they are different; there would be more waste than help.

Before you wire, you will need to locate components, switches, power buss and ground buss first. Get a big piece of construction poster board and draw a plan view of the plane and note all the equipment for nav lights to flap motor. The panel is the most intensive with a lot of inter connected items. Again once located its a matter of one connection at a time. SteinAir can can make you a plug-N-play harness for your panel, in part or whole. With the panel you will work with multi pin connectors and Coax. None of this requires super skill, just attention to detail and proper tools. It's not hard, but may be new at first.

Look at SteinAir's online catalog. Just for grins also look at say Spruce Aircraft catalog (they're free). Just scan thru catalogs and note items you will need based on your Z-11, make note of it. It's good to know what is out there. SteinAir has most every thing you need and can do custom panel wiring. Van's catalog also sells some individual electrical items.

Here is a FREE how-to to down load from Blue Mountain Avionics, by Greg Richter. It has a lot of common sense basics and ideas. It covers some basic design ideas, tools, how to crimp, aircraft antenna and avionics. Its free. :D

http://bluemountainavionics.com/pdf/aircraft_wiring_04december2004.pdf

(Note: There is some disconnect between Bob's Aeroelectric philosophy and Greg's "Wiring for smart people". Greg simplifies. Bottom line, both Gents are smart and following their advice will result in a safe, well wired system. However no matter how genius your wiring architecture is, its our basic skill making solid connections that will avoid issues. Basics, basics, basics, one good wire connection, one circuit at a time. It will come together. Don't rush it.)

Last edited:
Don't worry!

Hi Tim,

There is not a simple answer to your question, because it depends a lot on your set-up and the complexity of your systems. Main thing is: don't worry, just study/read a lot and buy good components and proper tools! It is quite impossible to make a perfect grocery list up front because you'll learn and make changes during the process. We also ordered a lot of stuff which was not used later on and we had to backorder also several times. You can see some of our endeavours on: http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/index.php?q=log_list&c=568 Some personal choices were: using fuses instead of breakers and as much crimp pins as possible (versus soldering).
The best supplier of components and advise in my opinion is Steinair: http://www.steinair.com/ He offers a course and a "how to" DVD too, but I don't know if that is available yet. In the mean time http://www.actechbooks.com/electrical_wiring_101_dvd.htm can be helpful. If you contact Stein and tell him your wishes and an overview of your systems i'm sure he can give you a good starting point. Then add at least 30% extra wires, connectors and terminals for changes and mess-ups, buy the good tools and you are off ;-)

All the best,