avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Getting ready to begin work on my electrical system. Was wondering if you all have some suggestions as to vendors for things like wire, connectors, circuit breakers, etc. I know about Steinair but would like some other input.

Also, when you have started to install your electrical system where did u start? Battery and contactors? Panel ? Wing wiring?

Thanks.

Peter Katz
RV9-A

TerminalTown.com has a connector kit that'll get you started. Crawford Tools sells good quality crimping tools and dies. (Sargent are the crimpers I purchased. I just purchased crimper/die sets so I didn't have to take the time to change the dies out.) I think Steinair sells wire. I'm not bothering with multitudes of "properly" sized wire. All AWG 22 and 20 requirements will be carried by AWG 20; all AWG 18 and 16 requirements will get AWG 16; AWG 14 and 12 will be handled by AWG 12; etc. (Simplify.) Aeroelectric.com has a lot of downloadable reference and ideas, if you're not already familiar with it.

Good luck.
Fred

Another...

Digikey (digikey.com) has great service and response if you know what you need. Trying to get through the 1000+ page catalog takes some effort, but overall prices and response is great.

I get what I can from Fabian Lefler at Affordable Panels. He has good materiel and prices. He doesn't have a web based ordering system so you need to send an email or call. He is a joy to work with and his modular panel is GREAT so I try to keep him in business.

I wired my wings when building them. I have the fuse complete except for the canopy and forward panel structure. At this point, I have completely wired the fuselage aft of the firewall but not including the panel prior to final installation of the pedals (in other words, all fuselage wiring has been done and ran up to (and up) the firewall prior to installing the pedals).

My pedals are in, tail is on so my next chunk is to wire the panel and firewall forward. I will most likely wire the panel to the buses next and save the firewall forward for last. I'm really anxious to wire the panel so I can see all the pretty lights.

This process seemed to work well with me but it does require you to have a fairly solid configuration list at the time each subassembly is built. I had settled on my subsystems early on and had them in hand at each step.

Recommendations:
1. Dont final install your pedals untill the fuse is fully wired up to the firewall.
2. Don't rivet down any floors until you fully understand your wiring needs (what you need and where the wires will run).
3. Plan your spar pass-throughs carefully to ensure you can get everything you want to pass through the holes you need.
4. Don't rivet down the forward top structure until the fuse is fully wired.
5. Leave the landing gear off AS LONG AS YOU CAN. It is MUCH easier to wire when at waist level.
6. Make sure you build in service loops and access methods.

Jekyll
7A

Wire Wings as they are Built

Jekyll, how long did you know to leave your wires when you wired your wing, or did you go with a disconnect at the wing root?

I don't mean to drive you away from www.steinair.com, because Stein is an "RV guy" and a great guy at that. Good stuff.

But if you're looking for other sources: http://www.bandc.biz I bought my electrical supplies there, mostly, before SteinAir was really going strong.

I also buy a few odd doodads from Mouser http://www.mouser.com. I prefer Mouser to Digikey since Mouser's web site is easier (for me) to use and find obscure stuff. YMMV.

macrafic said:
Jekyll, how long did you know to leave your wires when you wired your wing, or did you go with a disconnect at the wing root?

Macrafic:

I left about 12 inches at the root to allow me to connect when hanging the wings. I used a terminal board in the fuse to connect the wires. My TT servo wires are connecting via a 9-pin Dsub and I have a bulhead connector for a wing mounted nav antenna.

Jekyll

Mouser over Digikey

dan said:
I also buy a few odd doodads from Mouser http://www.mouser.com. I prefer Mouser to Digikey since Mouser's web site is easier (for me) to use and find obscure stuff. YMMV.

Also, Mouser does not add a handling charge for small orders like DigiKey does. Both have great service, however.

John