TShort

Well Known Member
Any recommendations for sources for solder, etc?
The Aeroelectric connection recommends 63/37 solder ... doesn't look like radio shack sells this. Where are people getting stuff like this?
Keep in mind I know little about this - maybe 60/40 is OK?

Thanks
Thomas

Fry's Electronics

If you have a Fry's electronics around, they are fantastic. They have just about everything you can imagine, except they don't sell the good ring/fast-on connectors. They have some, but they are the cheap ones without the vibration insulation inserts.

Any type of resister, capaciter, relay, etc, light bulb, connector, etc is there. They make Radio Shack look pitiful in comparison.

I like to go there and buy things to try them out, in particular stuff like Molex connectors, etc. Once I find what I like, if I need a bunch of them I order them in bulk from Stein, or if he doesn't carry them B&C.

I'm not associated with them in any way, just a frequent customer.

Here are the store locations:
http://www.frys.com/localframe.html

TShort said:
Any recommendations for sources for solder, etc?
The Aeroelectric connection recommends 63/37 solder ... doesn't look like radio shack sells this. Where are people getting stuff like this?
Keep in mind I know little about this - maybe 60/40 is OK?

Thanks
Thomas
60/40 is just fine. Just make sure it's electronic grade (rosin core). Standard Radio Shack stuff.... at least their convenient if no longer reasonably stocked :mad:

I got my 63/37 from Fry's as well. However, of their entire selection of solders, there was only one slot with this ratio and I got the last spool (high demand??). There were some 60/40's but most of it has transitioned to the new solderless variety. The new EU regulations on lead-free electronics are driving this. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years you can't find the leaded stuff anyway. Our labs at work have transitioned entirely to lead-free.

If you want the leaded stuff, you can buy it online. A quick Goole search gave me this: http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1132.html. I'm sure you could find bigger spools in a few mins of searching.

All that said ... the 60/40 stuff will work fine.

-Rick

Thanks for the input.
I hadn't even thought of Fry's - there is one less than a mile from my house!

Stein is already top of the list when I have to start ordering "real" electronic parts.

Thomas