kleindoc

Hi All,

I am trying to 'keep ahead of the aircraft' by thinking about my RV-9A electrical system while working on my wing kit.

It seems like the ideal time to wire the wing for nav/strobe and landing lighting.

I purchased the prefabricated wiring harness kit from Vans, and was looking at the options for breakers and switches. I noticed the warning in Van's accessory catalog, "...but not directly compatible with the prefabricated (wiring harness) kits."

Correspondence with Vans was surprisingly unsatisfactory; they were not able to explain the problem, other than saying that there were 'reports from the field' of incompatibility.

Since the text describing the load center states that the S/CB's will work with the wiring harness kit but not the prefabricated wiring harness, I'm hoping that the 'incompatibility' is due to the lengths of the wire, rather than the guage of the wires. (If the lengths don't work out, is it acceptable to splice wires or use some type of connector)?

Can anybody in the newsgroup shed some light on these issues? How can the problem be solved? The best solution might be to return the prefab harness and purchase the kit instead. But of course, I'd rather just plug something in and have it work without fiddling.

kleindoc