Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
I am about to finish up the empenage and want to wire up the PosiStrobe XP for the rudder while waiting for the wings to arrive (Heads up 12 weeks for the wings from Vans). The instructions from Aveo say to use an 18 guage, stranded, shielded wire for the Navs/strobes. I want to be able to disconnect the tail nav from the rudder for painting, etc.

Several options here. Put an extended service loop in the rudder fairing and just solder it or use a butt splice, and put heat shrink around it. Or use Molex connectors inside the fairing, although moisture might be a problem. Finally Seal all connectors, http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/sealAllconnectors.php from spruce. My big concern is RF noise. I guess thats why Aveo has you using shielded wire.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I prefer to use butt-splices with shrink wrap. Mostly because you can R&R the light without taking off the rudder bottom. I used molex connectors for the wing to fuselage connections though.

When I get there...

...I intend to use Deutsch DT-series connector pins with individual heat-shrink to hold each pin pair connected together and possibly another layer of heat-shrink to group them into functional groups, replacing the cost and weight of the connector blocks themselves.

The DT series are circular-section and come gold plated and available in several different wire gauge sizes to suit all applications I'm likely to need on my RV-8.

04602021631.jpg

04622011631.jpg

You need access to the crimping tool to do the job properly though...

A

As an alternitive use Tyco Electronics / AMP Brand size 20 contacts, pin #1218266-3 for the socket #1218267-3 both are for 20 to 24 awg wire. Newark Electronics is a good stocking source, including connector housings and crimp tooling. Look at our web site for further information. Mark C.

www.tycoelectronics.com/industry/aerospace

Thanks all for the input. Does anyone know why Aveo recomends using 18G shielded wiring for these LED's. The specs sheet shows less than 1.5 amp draw when in the steady and strobe position. I talked to Stan (great guy) at Aveo and he just said thats what the engineer guys put out. Also' has anyone used these lights without shielding and run into any problems?

Thanks all for the input. Does anyone know why Aveo recomends using 18G shielded wiring for these LED's. The specs sheet shows less than 1.5 amp draw when in the steady and strobe position. I talked to Stan (great guy) at Aveo and he just said thats what the engineer guys put out. Also' has anyone used these lights without shielding and run into any problems?

I suspect it's because of the voltage drop that will occur. AC43 calls out a max voltage drop of 0.5 volts for continuous operation, and 18ga wire meets that (assuming it's about a 19' run like it is on my airplane) but 20ga wire does not.

Shielded?

I don't remember seeing the requirement for shielding. I ran 18 ga wires to my tail already and they are all tied up and the skin riveted on, I sure hope shielding was not required. I guess time will tell. I recall looking this up on line last summer, maybe they have changed the specs.

Cheers