NYTOM

Well Known Member
What are some of the way you guys connect the wiring at the trim servo motors or other electrical devices? I'm thinking some kind of small weatherproof multi pin plug but can't seem to find any reference in the forums or searching through the av catalogs. I've found the computer type multi pin type but I'm sure there not weatherproof. Or do you just use individual connection crimp-on's and seal them up? The nav lights aren't the problem, its those tiny wires coming from the servo.

D-Subs

I used D-Sub connectors. On the elevator trim, I used a connector with solder cups and soldered the small wires. In other areas I crimped on d-sub pins. I found that using the machined pins with the small wires it's tough to assure a good attachment, using the stamped pins works better.
No matter what you use, working with the small wires is a pain.

What are some of the way you guys connect the wiring at the trim servo motors.......
This "quick disconnect" system seems to have worked so well on my -6A electric aileron and elevator trim system that I fabricated the same arrangement again. When the elevator is attached to the horizontal stab, the servo wires coming out of it are routed to and plugged into a mating 5-pin receptacle that is located underneath the empennage fairing and mounted on the aftmost bulkhead shown. This particular 5-pin male/female connector does require a bit soldering to secure those tiny wires but is cheap and simplifies installation and removal of the control surface as far as trim wiring is concerned.

I like to use just the D-sub pins, without the shell, and cover with shrink tubing.

Small in size, low in mass (vibration issues), reliable connection, and still removable by slicing off the shrink tube.

IIRC, this is another of Nuckols ideas.

Conxall Mini-Con-X connectors

What are some of the way you guys connect the wiring at the trim servo motors or other electrical devices? I'm thinking some kind of small weatherproof multi pin plug but can't seem to find any reference in the forums or searching through the av catalogs. I've found the computer type multi pin type but I'm sure there not weatherproof. Or do you just use individual connection crimp-on's and seal them up? The nav lights aren't the problem, its those tiny wires coming from the servo.

Tom... these Conxall connectors are not too expensive, are weatherproof and locking.

The Mini-Con-X are the appropriate ones...

8.gif

http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Pr...nxall_Interconnect-Wire-and-Cable_3000061.pdf

They seem to be a nylon injection molded version of the way expen$ive Mil-Spec connectors.

The 6 pin one is ideal for servo connections, and can be mounted just like the DIN connector above (which is not very weatherproof...:(...)

They can be bought at most of the big name electronic on-line suppliers... link above is to Allied... I'm fairly sure Mouser also has them...

gil A

I've got m/f nine-pin Amp style connectors (cannon plugs) as well as 16 pin versions. We use these on our instruments. I can sell some for pretty cheap if anyone is interested. :D

Problem solved

I knew you guys would come through.:) I was thinking of the D-subs and was going to give them a shot but was worried about them not being waterproof and rusting in the wing. It's pretty nasty up here in the Northeast on aircraft.
I never even thought of trying to eliminate the rusting part. Gil I'm going to try a couple of those mini-con-X connectors. Its pretty much what I was thinking about but didn't even know they existed. Gentlemen I thank You.
If this site ever goes away I'm gonna have to take the pipe.:eek:

Yea But............

When the elevator is attached to the horizontal stab, the servo wires coming out of it are routed to and plugged into a mating 5-pin receptacle that is located underneath the empennage fairing and mounted on the aftmost bulkhead shown.

How do you get that "sorta fat" connector through the little hole between the two HS609s rear spar reinf. bars?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another trick to use with d-sub commections instead of shrink tubing is to use silicon tape. The ones I use are orange in color and you can get it at Radio Shack. You wrap the connector with this stuff and it is stretchy and it sticks to itself and forms a waterproof covering.